If you love cowboy caviar you will love this Simple one-pan chicken dinner, filled with loads of flavor. This cowboy caviar is easy to make and makes for a perfectly healthy dinner that the whole family can enjoy.
Make Cowboy Chicken any day of the week. It is truly a flavor-packed meal that even the kids will enjoy. Made with simple ingredients, this cowboy chicken breast recipe pairs well with many side dishes. No more boring chicken meals when you can make this fancy cowboy chicken meal. Enjoy tender and juicy chicken with each bite and savor all the flavor of this meal. It will be on your weekly dinner rotation.
Why you will love this chicken recipe
- Meal-prep friendly: This cowboy chicken is perfect for those who meal prep. Adds loads of flavor to your meal prep meals.
- Healthy and delicious: Enjoy lean, juicy, and flavorful chicken with each bite when you make this chicken meal. Made with healthy ingredients.
- Simple and easy: This cowboy chicken is truly easy to put together. In less than an hour, you will have a well-rounded meal that will be a winner at your dinner table.
This is just a list of ingredients you will need. The full measurements are listed in the printable recipe card below.
- Boneless skinless chicken breast: chicken breasts are lean and the preferred choice of protein to use. But you may use chicken thighs and other protein sources like salmon
- Kosher salt and pepper, to taste
- Seasonings: dried oregano, smoked paprika
- Oil: we used olive oil, other oil can be used like avocado oil
- Black beans drained and rinsed: feel free to cook your beans from scratch
- One can fire-roasted tomatoes: we prefer the fire-roasted but if you have the plain one handy you may use that.
- Red bell peppers: you may use green peppers but red peppers are the preferred choice
- Green onions: fresh green onions add great flavor
- Garlic: please use fresh garlic if possible. If not, swap it with garlic powder
- Corn Kernels: fresh or frozen corn would work
- One lime: if you do not have lime, use lemons.
- Chopped fresh cilantro: this gives an amazing flavor boost. Unless you just hate cilantro, do not skip this ingredient
- Shredded cheese: you may use lite or fat-free cheese
How to make this easy cowboy chicken
Preheat the oven to 375F.
Rub the chicken with salt, pepper, oregano, paprika, and a tablespoon of oil.
Heat a large oven-proof skillet over medium heat. Sear the chicken for 2-3
minutes on both sides.
Meanwhile, in a mixing bowl, combine all the remaining ingredients except
for the cheese.
Top the seared chicken with the bean mixture and transfer to the oven. Bake
for 30 minutes, or until the internal temperature of each chicken breast
reaches 165F. Top the dish with shredded cheese and broil for a couple of
frequently asked questions
The only way to avoid ending up with dry rubbery chicken is to not overcook the chicken. It is best to cook the chicken over medium heat for 2-3 minutes on each side depending on the thickness of the chicken. You may also marinate the chicken for at least 30 minutes which helps make it tender.
Most people will soak their chicken overnight with either buttermilk or yogurt. In the case of a recipe that does not ask for any milk products, you can just marinate it with whatever marinade you plan to cook it in which will help make the chicken tender.
Oftentimes, chicken does not need to be covered with any foil when baking or cooking on the stove. It is fine to cook it uncovered.
Recipe notes and tips
- If you prefer not to use chicken breast, you may swap it with boneless and skinless chicken thighs. Make sure you trim out the excess fat from the chicken thighs if that is what you are using. Swap chicken with salmon too if preferred.
- Try to use fat-free or light shredded cheese to cut down on calories.
- Omit any of the veggies if you do not like them. For example, if you do not like corn skip it.
- You may store leftovers in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
What to serve with cowboy chicken
- Baked Cauliflower Parmesan
- Buffalo Cauliflower Bites
- Stove-top cooked white rice
- Cilantro Lime Cauliflower Rice
- Garlic Roasted Veggies
- Vegan Mash Potatoes
- Crispy Parmesan Baked Potatoes
More recipes you may like
- Healthy Beef Enchilada
- Korean Chicken Thighs with rice
- Beef Enchilada Soup
- Chili Cheese Dip
- Roasted Honey Balsamic Carrots
- Easy Beef Pot Roast
- Greek Chicken Pasta Salad
- Chicken Adobo Recipe
If you try a recipe and you like it, leave us some feedback in the comment section below, and don’t forget to rate it! We would love it if you shared it with friends and family.
Finally, please use our hashtag #healthyfitnessmeals on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured! FOLLOW Healthy Fitness Meals on FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER for all of our latest blog posts and recipes.
Cowboy Chicken Skillet
- 1.5 lb boneless skinless chicken breast
- Kosher salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 2 tbsp olive oil divided
- 15 oz black beans one can, drained and rinsed
- 15 oz diced fire-roasted tomatoes one can, drained
- 1/2 cup corn kernels canned or frozen
- 1 red bell pepper small diced
- 4 green onions chopped
- 3-4 garlic cloves pressed
- 1 large lime zest, and juice of
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 cup shredded cheese lite
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- Rub the chicken with salt, pepper, oregano, paprika, and a tablespoon of oil.
- Heat a large oven-proof skillet over medium heat. Sear the chicken for 2-3 minutes on both sides.
- Meanwhile, in a mixing bowl, combine all the remaining ingredients except for the cheese.
- Top the seared chicken with the bean mixture and transfer to the oven. Bake for 30 minutes, or until the internal temperature of each chicken breast
- reaches 165F. Top the dish with shredded cheese and broil for a couple of minutes.
- use lite or fat-free cheese
- This can be cooked over your stovetop if you do not want to bake
- you may use boneless chicken thighs, trim out the excess fat
Leave A Reply