This Korean Chicken recipe is as authentic as it can get. Tender and juicy chicken thighs cooked with a homemade Korean marinade and served over white rice. Takes just about 30 minutes to make and is perfect for meal prepping.
Many ways to cook chicken but by far this is one of our favorite ways to prepare and serve chicken. It may not be as Authentic as some would argue but close enough. You will get all the amazing Korean feel and taste with each bite. This Korean chicken thighs recipe is easy to make, packed with flavor, healthy, and great for those who meal prep. Chicken thighs were used instead of chicken breast to give the whole meal that extra juiciness with each bite. The chicken thighs are cooked in a simple homemade Korean-inspired marinade and served over a bowl of white rice and then garnished with some avocado and green onions.
Why you will love this chicken thigh recipe
- Authentic and flavorful: This Korean chicken recipe is packed with flavor, you will want to have another serving and add it to your weekly dinner menu.
- Easy to make: Making this chicken thighs recipe is very easy. Made with simple ingredients and ready in just under 30 minutes.
- Meal Prep friendly: This Korean-style chicken recipe is perfect for those who meal prep and are looking to add some variety and flavor to their meal-prepped meals.
Ingredients you will need
- Chicken: we used chicken thighs, but you can use chicken breasts instead. Or even any other protein of your choice.
- Toasted Sesame seeds: this ingredient could be optional if you do not have it handy. But it does add a light nutty flavor to the meal.
- Green Onions: This ingredient is used to garnish the meal and give it a nice kick in the flavor department.
- Avocado: Optional for garnishing. Not included in the recipe card. This is just a personal preference.
- Gochujang paste: This is an authentic ingredient you will need to make this meal. It cannot be skipped.
- Soy sauce: use light soy sauce or coconut aminos
- Honey: if you do not have honey, use brown sugar or agave
- Sesame oil: this oil gives the best flavor, but you may use another nut oil.
- Seasonings: smoked paprika, garlic powder, ginger powder
- Vinegar: any vinegar you have handy, we used rice vinegar
How to make this Korean Chicken Recipe
On a shallow plate, mix well all the marinade ingredients. Add the chicken
thigh and rub with the marinade on all sides.
Allow the chicken to marinate over the counter for 15-20 minutes.
Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Cook the marinated chicken for 4-5
minutes per side, or until the internal temperature reaches 165F.
Garnish with sesame seeds and green onions, and serve over your favorite
cooked rice, if desired.
Frequently asked questions
Korean chicken sauce is made of a combination of gochujang paste, ginger, garlic, honey, soy sauce, and brown sugar. There are a few different variations but most authentic Korean sauces will have these ingredients in them. Gochujang paste can now be found at most grocery stores.
The Korean Chicken you get at restaurants is super crispy and often times its what makes the meal so wholesome. This is because the chicken is coated with a breading made of potato starch and then the chicken is double-fried to give it that extra crispy texture. This is why we recommend making your own healthier Korean-style chicken at home without all the frying and breading.
That would be the debate of the century. Some would argue that chicken thighs are better than chicken breasts, mainly because chicken thighs tend to be more tender when cooked than chicken breast. Chicken breasts are much leaner than chicken thighs and would be a healthier choice.
More chicken recipes you may like
- Greek Chicken Pasta Salad
- Southwest Chicken Alfredo
- Chicken Adobo Recipe
- Lemon Chicken Pasta
- Baked Boneless Chicken Thighs
- Taco Stuffed Chicken Breast
- Chicken Vegetable Soup
- Easy Chicken Milanese
- Chicken Taco Salad
If you try a recipe and you like it, leave us some feedback in the comment section below, and don’t forget to rate it! We would love it if you shared it with friends and family.
Finally, please use our hashtag #healthyfitnessmeals on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured! FOLLOW Healthy Fitness Meals on FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER for all of our latest blog posts and recipes.
Healthy Korean Chicken Thighs and Rice
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 tsp toasted sesame seeds
- 2 tbsp chopped green onions
- 2 tbsp gochujang paste
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp ginger powder
- 1 tsp vinegar of choice
Optional topping: chopped avocado
- On a shallow plate, mix well all the marinade ingredients. Add the chicken thigh and rub with the marinade on all sides.
- Allow the chicken to marinate over the counter for 15-20 minutes.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Cook the marinated chicken for 4-5minutes per side, or until the internal temperature reaches 165F.
- Garnish with sesame seeds and green onions, and serve over your favorite cooked rice, if desired.
- If you do not like chicken thighs, you may use chicken breasts
- Trim out all the excess fat off the chicken thighs to reduce fat content.
- Serve over any rice of choice, quinoa, or cauliflower rice