This Cucumber Sandwich is light, refreshing, and flavorful! It’s easy to make with a delicious, herby cream cheese & ricotta spread, thinly sliced cucumbers, and alfalfa sprouts on whole wheat bread. Enjoy this sandwich recipe for picnics and lunches or make multiple sandwiches for luncheons or tea parties!
Cucumbers are abundant in the summertime, and a Cucumber Sandwich is a great way to use them up! Crisp slices of cucumber are combined with a creamy herbed spread, alfalfa sprouts, and your choice of bread for a cool, refreshing bite. We love to enjoy these for light lunches, but you can also quadruple the recipe and make these for potlucks and parties.
Why you should make this recipe
- So quick & easy: This recipe comes together in minutes. It’s just a matter of mixing together the cream cheese spread, slicing the cucumbers, and assembling. You can have this ready to enjoy in just about 10 minutes!
- Simple & satisfying: We’re using wholesome ingredients and serving this on healthy whole wheat bread for extra fiber. This recipe is vegetarian and can easily be made gluten-free, depending on the bread you choose.
- Kid-friendly: These cucumber sandwiches are creamy, flavorful, and have a nice crunch from the cucumber. Even picky kids will enjoy it!
This cucumber sandwich recipe is made with three main components: the spread, cucumbers, and bread. Here’s everything you’ll need to make them:
- For the spread: The spread is made with a simple mix of cream cheese, ricotta cheese, thinly sliced chives, lemon juice, and ground pepper.
- Alfalfa sprouts: A lovely addition, these add flavor, texture, and nutrition. If you’re not a fan, feel free to omit them.
- Bread: You can really use any bread you like for this sandwich. We like to choose a nutrient-rich, whole-wheat, seeded bread that has plenty of fiber. Try our Homemade Chia Seed Whole Wheat Bread!
- Cucumber: We recommend using an English cucumber because the seeds are smaller and they are less watery than other types of cucumber.
How to make this recipe
- Make the spread: In a small bowl, add cream cheese, ricotta cheese, chives, lemon juice, and ground black pepper. Stir to combine.
- Add the spread to the bread: Using a spoon spread half the creamy cheese mixture on each slice of the bread.
- Assemble the sandwich: Layer one of the slices with the sprouts and sliced cucumber, then top with the other slice containing the cream cheese spread facing down.
- Serve: Slice in half, serve, and enjoy.
Tips & variations
- Time-saving tip: Want to make this sandwich in less than 5 minutes? It won’t be quite as tasty, but you can use flavored cream cheese, such as garden vegetable cream cheese or chive and onion cream cheese.
- Tea sandwiches: Use the spread with crustless white bread to make appetizer cucumber tea sandwiches. You will probably want to omit the sprouts for this type of sandwich. You can cut each sandwich into 4 squares for a snack size. You can even cut them into different shapes with cookie cutters!
- Extras: Feel free to add extra layers to this sandwich, if you’d like. Sometimes we like to add red onion, tomatoes, a slice of cheese, and/or slices of deli meat.
Frequently asked questions
To avoid your sandwich from becoming soggy, be sure to spread plenty of herb cream cheese on both sides of the bread. This keeps the cucumbers from touching the bread, so it doesn’t become too moist. Also, if you’re using regular cucumbers, it’s a good idea to salt them before adding them to the sandwich to release some extra water.
These are best made just 1-3 hours before you are going to serve them, however, you may make them the night before and store them in the fridge.
No, if you’d like to peel the cucumber you can, but we like to keep the peel on for extra color and nutrition.
Cucumber sandwiches are great served with a variety of sides. Try these pairing options:
You can make the spread ahead of time and store it for a couple of days in an airtight container in the fridge. The assembled sandwich does not keep for more than a day. If you’re packing it in a lunchbox for later, wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and store it in an airtight container.
More sandwich recipes
- Chicken Avocado Ranch Burrito Sandwich
- Grilled Chicken Sandwich
- Grilled Chicken Gyro Sandwich
- Chicken Caesar Wrap
- Chicken Salad Sandwich
- Avocado Egg Salad Sandwich
If you try a recipe and you like it, leave us some feedback in the comment section below, and don’t forget to rate it! We would love it if you shared it with friends and family.
Finally, Use our hashtag #healthyfitnessmeals on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured! FOLLOW Healthy Fitness Meals on FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER for all of our latest blog posts and recipes.
Healthy Cucumber Sandwich
- 2 Tbsp cream cheese lite
- 2 Tbsp ricotta cheese lite
- 1 tbsp fresh chives thinly sliced
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- Ground pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup alfalfa sprouts
- 2 Slices of whole-wheat or whole-grain sandwich bread
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced cucumber
- In a small bowl, add cream cheese, ricotta cheese, chives, lemon juice, and ground black pepper. Stir to combine.
- Using a spoon, spread half the creamy cheese mixture on each slice of the bread.
- Layer one of the slice with the sprouts and sliced cucumber, then top with the other slice containing the cream cheese spread facing down.
- Slice in half, serve and enjoy.