Comforting Chicken and Cauliflower Rice Casserole is an easy delicious meal made in one pan. It’s filled with veggies, protein, taco seasoning, and plenty of cheese. Traditional rice is swapped with riced cauliflower to make this dish low carb and lighter, yet it’s so flavorful even the pickiest of eaters will enjoy it!
Casseroles make some of the best meals! This easy Chicken and cauliflower Rice Casserole is no exception! It’s loaded with flavor and a wonderful low-carb alternative to the classic chicken and rice casserole.
Mix all of the ingredients in one bowl, you’ll have the whole dish prepped in less than 10 minutes. Bake it to creamy, cheesy perfection, and serve an incredible dinner! Everyone will be going back for seconds and thirds. It’s also a great dish to help incorporate more veggies into your family’s diet.
Reasons to love this recipe
- Quick & easy to prep: This is the perfect recipe for busy weeknights because it only takes minutes to prep with very little effort. Once it’s done, you have a complete meal that includes healthy carbs by way of vegetables, protein from the lean chicken, and healthy fats from the cheese.
- Low carb & healthier: This chicken cauliflower rice casserole is low in carbs and makes a great meal, especially if you are on the keto diet or just trying to eat lighter.
- So tasty: Once your family gives this cauliflower recipe a try, it’s so delicious that it’s bound to become a family favorite.
The ingredient list for this low-carb baked chicken casserole recipe includes many things that you probably already have in your kitchen! Here’s everything you’ll need:
- Chicken: Mix cooked, chopped chicken breasts in with the cauliflower rice and other ingredients to add plenty of satisfying protein. Rotisserie chicken is a great option because it already has incredible flavor.
- Cauliflower rice: You’ll need 4 cups of cauliflower rice. Fresh is best but frozen and slightly thawed will work just fine.
- Taco seasoning: For bold Mexican flavors, use homemade taco seasoning or use any store-bought packet.
- Yogurt: Use plain yogurt or sour cream to add creaminess to the chicken and rice.
- Mozzarella cheese: We love the flavor and cheesiness shredded mozzarella cheese adds to this casserole. However, you could use cheddar cheese or another favorite variety.
- Kosher salt & pepper: To bring out all of the flavors.
- Fresh cilantro: Optional for a pop of color and extra fresh flavor.
How to make this recipe
- Mix the ingredients: In a large bowl, mix the chicken, cauliflower rice, taco seasoning, and yogurt or sour cream. Mix well, then stir in half of the shredded mozzarella.
- Add mixture to pan: Transfer the mixture to a baking dish and spread with a spatula. Top with the remaining shredded cheese.
- Bake: Place in oven and bake for around 30 minutes, or until the top is golden and the cheese is melted inside and out.
- Serve: Enjoy with fresh chopped cilantro, and garnish lime wedges, if you’d like. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Cauliflower rice: Make your own cauliflower rice by grating a head of cauliflower using a large cheese grater, or lightly pulse cauliflower florets in a food processor.
- Cheese: Experiment with different cheeses to add new flavors. Cheddar cheese, pepper jack cheese, or a Mexican blend are all great choices.
- Spices: Try different seasonings according to your taste preference. You can easily make this
- Let rest: It’s a good idea to let the casserole rest for at least 10 to 15 minutes after it comes out of the oven, so the ingredients have a chance to set.
- If you prefer to not use cauliflower rice and use plain white rice, just swap the cauliflower rice with your rice of choice or even cooked quinoa.
Frequently asked questions
No, cauliflower rice cooks really quickly, even if it’s frozen. It will get perfectly cooked with the other ingredients while baking in the oven.
This particular casserole serves 6 and each serving has a little over 260 calories. See the nutrition information at the bottom of the recipe card for more information regarding fat, carbs and protein.
Cauliflower rice has a softer consistency than regular rice, but cooking this casserole at 400 degrees for 30 minutes will not make it mushy. It will be perfectly soft and flavorful!
- Serve this casserole with sautéed green beans, air fryer broccoli, or air fryer parmesan zucchini fries.
- A fresh zucchini corn salad or a simple cucumber and tomato salad complements the rich, cheesy flavors of the main dish.
- Another great option is some homemade whole wheat bread for soaking up any extra sauce.
If you have leftovers, place them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 to 5 days. We don’t recommend freezing this casserole.
Reheat leftovers in the oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 10 to 15 minutes, or in the microwave in individual portions for 1 to 2 minutes.
More delicious casserole recipes
- Spaghetti Casserole
- Cheeseburger Casserole
- Healthy Tuna Casserole
- Chicken Enchilada Casserole
- Taco Casserole
- Butternut Squash Casserole
- Cheesy Potato Casserole
- Chicken Broccoli Rice Casserole
- Easy Zucchini Casserole
If you try a recipe and you like it, leave us some feedback in the comment section below, and don’t forget to rate it! We would love it if you shared it with friends and family.
Chicken Cauliflower Rice Casserole
- 4 cups cooked chicken breasts chopped
- 4 cups cauliflower rice
- 1 tbsp taco seasoning
- 1 cup plain yogurt or sour cream
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Kosher salt and pepper to taste
- Optional: fresh chopped cilantro to garnish and lime wedges to serve
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF.
- In a large bowl, mix the chicken, cauliflower rice, taco seasoning, and yogurt or sour cream. Mix well, then stir in half of the shredded mozzarella.
- Transfer the mixture to a baking dish and spread with a spatula. Top with the remaining shredded cheese.
- Bake for around 30 minutes, or until the top is golden and the cheese is melted inside and out.
- Serve with fresh chopped cilantro, and garnish lime wedges, if you’d like. Add salt and pepper to taste.