We love this simple and easy-to-make Baked Harissa Chicken recipe. Tender and juicy chicken with each bite that is packed with flavor and perfect for a quick weeknight dinner meal for the family.
Harissa chicken is one of our favorited chicken dishes of all time. Lean boneless and skinless chicken breast that is perfectly seasoned with pantry staples ingredients and harissa paste. The chicken breasts are marinated for 30 minutes with the harissa mixture so that you get the full impact of the flavor of Harissa. You get tender, moist, and juicy chicken with each bite when you make this baked harissa chicken breast recipe. Makes for a perfect main dish to serve will all sorts of sides and is great to add over salads as well.
Why you will love this Recipe
- Quick and Easy: Making this baked harissa chicken is quite Easy. Once the chicken is done marinating, pop in the oven sit back, and wait. Hassle-free meal.
- Juicy and Delicious: The chicken turns out super moist and juicy. You will love the flavor for this simple Harissa chicken dish.
- Healthy: Lean chicken breasts with no cream and made with minimal simple clean and healthy ingredients. No frying was involved and baked in the oven to perfection.
Ingredients you will need
- Boneless and skinless chicken breasts: if you prefer to use boneless and skinless chicken thighs, go right ahead.
- Kosher salt and ground pepper, to taste
- Seasonings: garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika, and cumin
- Harissa paste: mild or spicy
- Lemon: you will need the zest and juice of the lemon
- Maple syrup: adds a nice touch of sweetness to balance out the seasonings. You may use honey instead.
- Extra Virgin Olive oil: or you may use avocado oil
How to make Harissa Chicken
First, make the harissa seasoning mix: On a shallow plate, whisk the seasonings with harissa paste, lemon zest, juice, maple syrup, and oil.
Next, season the chicken: Place the chicken thighs into the harissa mixture and move around to evenly coat each piece.
Then, Marinate the chicken: Allow the chicken to marinate for 30 minutes over the counter; Alternatively, you can cover the plate with cling film and refrigerate overnight.
Preheat the oven to 375F.
Finally, transfer the chicken to an oven dish and bake for around 30 minutes, or until the internal temperature reaches 165F. Serve with some Greek yogurt and rice and enjoy.
Recipe notes and Tips
- Do not overbake the chicken or it will turn out dry and rubbery. Also, the best way to check if the chicken is done is to use a food thermometer until the internal temperature of the thickest part of the chicken reaches 165F.
- You can use either mild or spicy harissa paste or seasonings. Or just add in some cayenne pepper if you like spicy food.
- Add in more veggies with the chicken like green beans, asparagus, or even potatoes and carrots. You can then bake it on a baking sheet pan lined with parchment paper and make it a one-pan meal.
- Swap chicken for other forms of protein like shrimp or salmon.
- If you prefer using chicken thighs, use boneless and skinless chicken thighs. Just trim out as much fat as you can to keep it on the lean side.
What to serve with Harissa Chicken
- Spicy Honey Baked Cauliflower
- Cheesy Cauliflower Bake
- Cilantro Lime Rice
- Baked Greek Fingerling Potatoes
- Hot German Potato Salad
- Sauteed Green Beans
- Baked Smashed Sweet Potatoes
Frequently asked questions
Harissa chicken is a dish that’s made by marinating or cooking chicken with harissa paste which is a spicy North African chili paste that is made from a blend of roasted red peppers, hot chili peppers, herbs, and spices. It is known for it bold and flavorful taste.
Known to have originated from Tunisia, Harissa sauce is a chili paste or sauce typically made of dry red chiles, garlic, lemon, e olive oil, and some warm spices like cumin, coriander, and caraway seeds.
Harissa paste or spices is said to have originated in Tunisia, a country located in the North Africa.
Yes. Harissa tends to be spicy even though milder forms are being made. It all comes down to the type of chili peppers used to make the harissa seasoning or paste. This makes it easy to make milder versions and pretty spicy versions.
Can’t get your hands on harissa paste or seasoning? You can make something similar by using a combination of cayenne pepper, smoked paprika, and a bit of cumin powder. Other sauces that you may use can be Tabasco, sriracha, or chilli bean paste.
Storing and reheating Recommendations
- Storing: Store leftover harissa chicken breasts in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 4 days. You may freeze for up to 2 months.
- Reheating: reheat leftovers in the microwave or cover the chicken breasts with foil wrap and bake in a preheated oven at 350F for 6-8 minutes.
Chicken Recipes you may also Like
- Healthy Chicken Enchiladas
- Chicken Fajita Pasta
- Creamy Chicken and Broccoli Skillet
- Tandoori Chicken Recipe
- Air Fryer Chicken Bites
- Chicken Green Beans and Potatoes
- Air Fryer Chicken Bites
- Pesto Chicken Recipe
Also, If you try a recipe and you like it, leave us some feedback in the comment section below, and don’t forget to rate it! We would love it if you shared it with friends and family.
Follow me on social for a chance to be featured! Finally, Please use #healthyfitnessmeals on INSTAGRAM! FOLLOW Healthy Fitness Meals on FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER for all of our latest blog posts and recipes.
Baked Harissa Chicken
- baking dish
- 4 Chicken Breasts boneless and skinless
- Kosher salt and ground pepper to taste
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/4 cup harissa paste pr puree
- 1 small Lemon zest, and juice of
- 1 tbsp maple syrup or honey
- 1 tbsp olive oil or avocado oil
- On a shallow plate, whisk the seasonings with harissa paste, lemon zest, juice, maple syrup, and oil.
- Place the chicken thighs into the harissa mixture and move around to evenly coat each piece.
- Allow the chicken to marinate for 30 minutes over the counter; Alternatively, you can cover the plate with cling film and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- Transfer the chicken to an oven dish and bake for around 30-35 minutes, or until the internal temperature reaches 165F.
- Serving size: One chicken Breast
- Use any oil of your choice
- You may use boneless and skinless chicken thighs if preferred.
- Don’t like chicken? Use any other protein like shrimp or Salmon.
- Make it more spicy by adding a bit of cayenne pepper to the seasoning.