Delicious low-carb Garlic Butter Chicken Skillet that’s ready in less than 30 minutes! This recipe is easy to make, satisfying, and full of flavor. It pairs well with a variety of sides and is the perfect dinner option for busy weeknights.
This Garlic Butter Chicken breast recipe is made with chicken breasts nestled in a simple, yet flavorful garlic butter sauce. You’ll love how quick and easy this recipe is to make, and how everything is cooked in one skillet. Enjoy this simple chicken dinner recipe with veggies, potatoes, rice, or a serving of pasta. It’s versatile enough to pair with a variety of sides. This sauteed chicken breast recipe is low in carbs and great for those who are on a keto diet. Please refer to “expert tips” on how you can substitute butter with olive oil.
Why you will love this recipe
- Quick and simple: This is a fast and easy under-30-minute chicken dinner! It’s made in one skillet, which means less cleanup. Winning!
- So flavorful: The pan-fried chicken turns out super tender, juicy, and buttery with plenty of garlic for major deliciousness.
- Family-friendly: This is one of those dinners that is crowd-pleasing and loved by everyone. A meal even the kids will enjoy!
Ingredients needed for this easy garlic chicken Breast recipe
This low-carb chicken dish requires simple, easy-to-find ingredients and comes together with very little effort. Here’s everything you’ll need to make it:
- Chicken breast: This recipe calls for boneless, skinless chicken breasts, but feel free to use boneless, skinless chicken thighs, if preferred, for a richer and juicier flavor. Cook time will vary with different cuts of chicken.
- Italian seasoning, salt & pepper: For added flavor.
- Olive oil: For cooking the chicken.
- Chicken broth: Gives the sauce perfect consistency while providing flavor. Use low-sodium broth to control the saltiness of the recipe.
- Butter: Provides the sauce with richness and makes it perfectly buttery.
- Garlic: Really makes the sauce something special! We recommend fresh garlic for the best taste.
- Herbs: Fresh chopped parsley adds freshness, flavor, and a pop of color. Chives, basil, or thyme are other great options.
How to make this recipe
- Prep & cook chicken: Rub the chicken with the Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper on all sides. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook the chicken until it’s golden brown and the internal temperature reaches 165ºF. Set aside on a plate.
- Make the sauce: To the same preheated skillet, add the chicken broth and deglaze the pan by allowing it to bubble for a couple of minutes. Add the butter and garlic and cook, stirring continuously, until a silky sauce forms. Stir in the parsley and return the chicken back to the pan, spooning over the buttery sauce.
- Try to choose chicken breasts that are approximately the same size, so that they cook at the same rate. Also, be sure to lightly pound them to an even thickness. This will also help to make them more tender.
- For a creamy chicken skillet option, sauté the garlic in 1 tbsp of olive oil and substitute butter with 1/2 cup heavy cream or 1/2 cup almond milk whisked with 1 tbsp cornstarch.
- We like to keep the recipe simple by just using Italian seasoning, salt, pepper, and fresh garlic so those flavors really shine. However, feel free to add other seasonings or spices to the mix. For a little heat, you can even add a sprinkle of red chili pepper flakes to the finished dish.
Frequently asked questions
The key ingredients in this butter chicken sauce are chicken broth, butter, and garlic. It’s a simple combination of ingredients that adds a major punch of flavor!
To know precisely that the chicken is fully cooked, we recommend using a meat thermometer; when inserted into the thickest part of the meat, the temperature should read 165 degrees F when fully cooked. If you don’t have a thermometer, use a knife to make a small cut into the meat, so you can see the color all the way through. If you see pink, it’s not ready yet.
This is delicious and served with pasta or buttered egg noodles, mashed potatoes, or rice to soak up the buttery sauce. It’s a bit rich, so vegetables are great. Try our roasted green beans or broccolini. A side salad would be a good pairing too! A simple one with kale or romaine lettuce and this homemade Caesar dressing would be wonderful.
Place leftovers in an airtight container or in ziplock bag. They will keep in the fridge for up to 3 to 4 days. You can also freeze the chicken and sauce in a freezer-safe container or bag for up to about 3 months.
More chicken recipes
- Taco Stuffed Chicken Breast
- Lemon Chicken Breast
- Cilantro Lime Chicken and Rice Recipe
- Boneless BBQ Chicken Breast
- Asian Chopped Chicken Salad
- Baked Buffalo Chicken Breast
If you try a recipe and you like it, leave us some feedback in the comment section below. Don’t forget to rate the recipe, too! We would love it if you shared it with friends and family.
Finally, please use our hashtag #healthyfitnessmeals on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured! FOLLOW Healthy Fitness Meals on FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER for all of our latest blog posts and recipes.
Garlic Butter Chicken Skillet
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts lightly pounded to an even thickness
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- kosher salt and ground pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 4 tbsp butter
- 4-5 garlic cloves chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh chopped parsley
- Rub the chicken with the Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper on all sides. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook the chicken until it’s golden brown and the internal temperature reaches 165ºF. Set aside on a plate.
- To the same preheated skillet, add the chicken broth and deglaze the pan by allowing it to bubble for a couple of minutes. Add the butter and garlic and cook, stirring continuously, until a silky sauce forms. Stir in the parsley and return the chicken back to the pan, spooning over the buttery sauce.