This Creamy Salmon recipe is easy to make and a delicious low carb salmon dinner recipe that’s so tasty and quick to put together. Keto-friendly, made in one pan and ready in just under 30 minutes.
This easy salmon recipe is low in carbs and perfect for those who are on the keto diet. All made in one pan and great if you are into meal preps. Add a side of grilled veggies or some brown rice, quinoa, or other grains. A salmon dinner recipe that will become one of your favorite recipes that the whole family will enjoy. The creamy lime sauce complements this pan-seared salmon so well.
How to make Creamy Coconut Lime Salmon Recipe
- Prepare Salmon: First season the salmon with salt and pepper on all sides.
- Pan Sear: Heat coconut oil in a large non-stick pan over medium heat. Pan sear the salmon until golden brown, about 2-3 minutes per side. The salmon can be undercooked at this point as we will continue to cook it later into the sauce. Set aside on a plate.
- Make the creamy sauce: Add in the shallot and garlic, and cook for 3-4 minutes, until softens. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk the coconut milk, oregano, lime juice, zest, and cornstarch, until well combined.
- Combine Salmon with Sauce: Pour the coconut milk mixture into the pan and lower the heat. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Once simmering, return the salmon to the pan, and continue to cook until cooked through and the sauce has thickened.
- Garnish and serve: Take it off the heat and sprinkle with fresh chopped cilantro and lime slices. Serve while hot and enjoy!
How to cook salmon
There are many different ways to cook salmon. It will come down to your preferred method based on how easy and convenient it is for you or even the taste.
Ways to cook salmon:
- Grilled: Whether you use coal or gas grill, grilling gives an earthy and smokey flavor. Brush salmon with oil spray or olive oil to prevent sticking and grill with the skin on.
- Stovetop: I find this to be the easiest way and there are many ways to cook salmon on your stovetop. one way would be to sautee it over medium-high heat with a bit of oil and spices. Another way would be poaching, which eliminates the need to add oils.
- Oven Roasted: This is a simple and delicious way of cooking many salmon fillets at once. It can be roasted in a dish or pan.
- Broiling: Another great method of cooking salmon is by broiling it. Gives it that crispy and delicious top without the need to turn the fillets.
- Baking: This is also another easy method of cooking salmon. Set your oven to 350-400 F and let it bake for about 20 minutes
What temp should salmon be cooked?
You can check the doneness of salmon by using a fork to check if it flakes easily. If it does then it is ready. But, if you prefer to use a digital thermometer instead, the USDA recommends cooking the salmon to an internal temperature of 145°F. When using a thermometer, measure the thickest part of the fillet.
What are the benefits of eating Salmon
Salmon is considered one of the healthiest fishes to add to your diet. They are high in protein, loaded with omega-3 fatty acids and vitamin B12 in addition to selenium and choline. Among many other health benefits of salmon, they improve brain function, cognition, and neurological health. Salmon helps boost your immunity, benefits heart health, and may help you lose weight.
Making this Creamy Salmon Recipe?
The best part of sharing recipes with you guys is the feedback we get. Positive or negative! Even though we hope they are all positive. If you like this Creamy Coconut Lime Salmon recipe please leave us a 5-star review and drop a comment in the comment section below.
Love Salmon? We have some other easy salmon recipes you can check out:
- Pan-Seared Southwestern Salmon
- Honey Garlic Salmon Recipe
- Crispy Baked Salmon
- Pan-Seared Spice Crusted Salmon Recipe
- Easy Chili Salmon Zucchini Noodles
- Grilled Lemon Dill Salmon Skewers
Remember to subscribe to my NEWSLETTER for free and receive recipes like this Creamy Salmon Recipe delivered right to your inbox!
If you try a recipe and you like it, please use my hashtag #healthyfitnessmeals on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured! FOLLOW Healthy Fitness Meals on FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER for all of my latest blog posts and recipes.
Creamy Coconut Lime Salmon
- 4 Salmon Fillets
- 1 Tbsp Coconut Oil
- 1 Medium Shallot finely chopped
- 3-4 Garlic Cloves minced
- 1 Cup Full-fat Canned Coconut Milk
- 1 Tsp Dried Oregano
- 2 tbsp Fresh Lime Juice
- 1 Tbsp Lime Zest
- 1 Tbsp Cornstarch
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Fresh chopped cilantro, to garnish
- Extra lime slices to garnish
- Season the salmon with salt and pepper on all sides.
- Heat coconut oil in a large non-stick pan over medium heat. Pan sear the salmon until golden brown, about 2-3 minutes per side. The salmon can be undercooked at this point as we will continue to cook it later into the sauce. Set aside on a plate
- Add in the shallot and garlic, and cook for 3-4 minutes, until softens. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk the coconut milk, oregano, lime juice, zest, and cornstarch, until well combined.
- Pour the coconut milk mixture into the pan and lower the heat. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Once simmering, return the salmon to the pan, and continue to cook until cooked through and the sauce has thickened.
- Take it off the heat and sprinkle with fresh chopped cilantro and lime slices. Serve while hot and enjoy!
- Coconut milk: if you are on a high-fat keto diet, you may use heavy cream in place of coconut milk.
- Coconut oil can be replaced with any other neutral oil.
- Switch out the protein with any other protein like shrimp.
Colleen N. says
This was so delicious!! All the flavors together were incredible! Im pescatarian but I think this sauce would be delicious on chicken too.
I agree! so good!
Paola Cedillo says
made this once but what veggie is the replacement for pasta would that be shredded zucchini or cucumber ?
Too much lime. Should have listened to my instincts and not put that much. I ruined the salmon I got. :/
Hi LK. When we first tested it we loved the citrusy taste of the recipe. We retested this again today with half the amount of the lime and believe would be more suitable for everyone. The recipe is updated.
What if I don’t have cornstarch? What can I use in place of that
Hi. Just use any flour you have handy to thicken the sauce
This dish was soo delicious the whole family loved it!! Thank’s for this recipe,will be making this again.
Glad you all loved it.
Milena Ciambrone says
This salmon recipe was absolutely delicious
Thank so much for shared your lovely recipes
You are so kind Milena. Thank you
Cara Jenkins says
i never rate recipes…but this one was not very good at all. somehow my husband liked it, but i was not a fan
Hi. Sorry to hear that you didn’t like it. Glad the hubby did.
Do I have to use full fat coconut milk?
Hi Izzy. No, you don’t have to. Feel free to use light.
This recipe wasn’t bad but 1/4 cup lime juice and 1 tbsp lime zest is wayyy too much for the amount of coconut milk this recipe calls for. I had to end up diluting it with water.
We love it more on the citrus side. I did remake this again and agree that it works best with half the amount of lime. Recipe is updated.
You are just awesome!!!! I absolutely loved this recipe it was just great!!! You make my lifestyle change easypeasy with all of your recipes, my family loved this as well. Awesome!!
Thank you, Terrence. You made my day. So glad you like this recipe and enjoy my blog.
C b says
Can you use arrowroot in place of cornstarch?
Hi there. Yes you can