This Easy Chicken Fried Rice recipe is a simple and light option for dinner that my family loves. It’s quick to make and can be served by itself or on the side with the rest of your meal. This takeout classic is so much healthier when you make it at home!
Easy Homemade Chicken Fried Rice Recipe
We love how versatile this chicken fried rice is. On busy nights this is a great go-to option that doesn’t take a long time to prepare and usually, there are no leftovers. Would you serve this on the side or as the main dish to your family? Made with a handful of simple pantry staple ingredients and can be ready in about 30 minutes. Full of veggies, loaded with chicken, and so full of flavor.
HOW TO MAKE CHICKEN FRIED RICE
First, in a large skillet, heat 2 teaspoons of vegetable oil over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and saute until browned and cooked through about 4-5 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Next, remove the chicken from the pan and place it on a plate. Cover with foil to keep warm.
Then, wipe out the pan with a paper towel. Heat the remaining teaspoon of vegetable oil over medium-high heat.
Add the onion and carrot to the pan, cook 3-5 minutes or until softened.
Add the rice to the pan, along with the reserved chicken, egg, and frozen peas. Stir in the soy sauce and sesame oil and mix gently until everything is thoroughly combined.
Finally, season to taste with salt and pepper and top with sliced green onions if desired. Serve.
What can you serve with Chicken Fried Rice?
Sometimes you just want to have a little something with your Chicken Fried Rice recipe. There are a few options for side dishes.
- Stir fry vegetables like mushroom, onions, zucchini, carrots and so on.
- Egg rolls, dumplings or salads as a side as well.
- Steamed veggies like broccoli or green beans.
- Soup- try egg drop soup or hot and sour soup
Tips for chicken fried rice
- If cooking your own rice, use long grain rice. It works best.
- Precooked rice works great, use brown rice if possible
- Other meats can be used in place of the chicken like shrimps, chicken thighs, or beef.
- Frozen peas and corn work well. Canned peas won’t taste as great but will work just fine. Just add it towards the end to prevent them from mushing.
- It is best to use cold rice. Either wait for the rice to cool down completely, or use leftover rice from the previous day.
- Also, some optional toppings can be sliced onions, peppers, or grated ginger.
How to store Fried rice
Store your leftover chicken fried rice in a storage container in the fridge for 4-5 days. You may freeze for up to 3 months. Simply microwave to reheat or you may reheat on your stovetop.
We’ve all heard at some point that the take out fried rice is just bad news. Well depending on how you prepare your chicken fried rice recipe it isn’t so bad for you. The high glycemic carbs found in regular rice is usually what’s considered a no-no when trying to lose weight. Also, you can substitute the white rice with brown rice which cuts the caloric intake by half! Or even better, make cauliflower fried rice instead!
We would love to hear what you think of this easy Chicken Fried Rice Recipe if you make it. Please leave us a comment below and don’t forget to share it with your friends and family on social media. Also, you can Pin it and save it for later!
Tag us on Instagram using #healthyfitnessmeals hashtag so we can see and share your remake!
Here are a few more lunch or dinner recipes to check out:
- Honey Garlic Salmon Recipe
- Easy Sesame Ginger Shrimp Stir-fry Recipe
- Asian Chopped Chicken Salad
- Lemon Dill Salmon Pasta Salad
- Thai Green Chicken Curry
- Greek Meze Power Bowl
Also, remember to subscribe to my NEWSLETTER for free and receive recipes like this Easy chicken fried rice Recipe delivered right to your inbox!
Finally, if you try a recipe and you like it, please use our hashtag #healthyfitnessmeals on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured! FOLLOW Healthy Fitness Meals on FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER for all of our latest blog posts and recipes.
Easy Chicken Fried Rice
- 3 cups brown rice cooked
- 3/4 pound chicken breast boneless, skinless cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil divided use
- 1 egg scrambled
- 1/2 cup onion finely chopped
- 1/2 cup carrots chopped
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 3 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce or more to taste
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- optional: sliced green onions for garnish
- In a large skillet, heat 2 teaspoons of vegetable oil over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and saute until browned and cooked through about 4-5 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Remove the chicken from the pan and place it on a plate. Cover with foil to keep warm.
- Wipe out the pan with a paper towel. Heat the remaining teaspoon of vegetable oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the onion and carrot to the pan, cook 3-5 minutes or until softened.
- Add the rice to the pan, along with the reserved chicken, egg, and frozen peas. Stir in the soy sauce and sesame oil and mix gently until everything is thoroughly combined. Season to taste with salt and pepper and top with sliced green onions if desired. Serve.
I followed the recipe as listed, except I replaced the chicken with leftover seasoned ground beef and then added a knob of butter towards the end. Simple, quick, and delicious!
Awesome! Thanks for the feedback
Why is the Carb count so high?
Thanks for pointing it out to me. It was calculating 3 cups of dried rice not cooked rice. I fixed it.
Louise Chain says
Easy to make and delicious
awesome! Thanks for the feedback
What makes the
carbs so very High?
Are the calories listed per serving or per batch?