Looking for a super delicious, easy, crowd-pleasing dinner recipe? This creamy chicken and pasta recipe with incredible flavor coming right up! This dish combines tender noodles, succulent seasoned chicken, tomatoes, kale, and parmesan cheese; all tossed in the most amazing creamy sauce. It takes less than 30 minutes to make and will definitely become one of your go-to dinners!
A delicious, creamy chicken and pasta recipe offers mega-crowd appeal. It’s one of those meals that are special enough for a romantic dinner but is so easy, anyone can throw it together with no problem!
This creamy pasta recipe is loaded with bowtie pasta (or any short noodle), chicken, kale, cherry tomatoes, parmesan cheese, and a creamy sauce. It’s as beautiful as it is delicious! Not to mention it’s a cinch to make. Just boil your pasta, sauté your chicken, make a quick sauce, then toss it all together. Dinner’s ready in 30 minutes or less! This one’s a winner! Don’t delay… make it tonight!
Why you’ll love this recipe
- Quick & easy: Such an easy recipe with simple methods that can be whipped up in less than 30 minutes from start to finish.
- Delicious: This is one of the most flavorful pasta dishes and should not be missed. It’s bound to become a family favorite and you’ll want to add it to your regular dinner rotation.
- Healthier: This recipe includes high-protein chicken, and veggie goodness with kale and tomatoes, and the creamy sauce is made with almond milk rather than heavy cream for fewer calories and fat.
You’re going to fall in LOVE with this pasta dish! It requires simple, easy-to-find ingredients and comes together with very little effort. Here’s a quick rundown of what you’ll need:
- Penne pasta: I love penne pasta in this recipe, but as you can see from the pictures, any short pasta works — including gluten-free! You can try bowtie pasta, cavatappi, or elbow noodles.
- Chicken breast: Boneless, skinless chicken thighs will also work here. Simply cut the chicken into bite-sized pieces before cooking.
- Seasoning: Salt and pepper to taste. Use as much as you prefer. Plus, we’re adding in a little Italian seasoning for extra zip.
- Garlic: Plenty of minced garlic is used and goes very well with the other flavors in this pasta. Use as much garlic as you like.
- For the sauce: Cornstarch mixed with almond milk creates a nice creamy sauce.
- Kale: Fresh kale adds a nutrient boost. Feel free to sub with baby spinach.
- Tomatoes: Use chopped grape or cherry tomatoes to add just the right level of sweetness and tang.
- Parmesan cheese: Ground parmesan cheese adds flavor and makes the sauce super creamy.
How to make this recipe
One of our favorite things about this pasta recipe is that it’s very straightforward and moves quickly. I recommend having all of the ingredients measured and prepped before starting to cook. Here’s the simple method:
Please see the recipe card for the full, printable recipe.
- Boil the pasta: Cook the pasta in salted water according to package directions. Once ready, drain and set aside.
- Cook the chicken: Heat the oil in a deep skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and season with Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper. Sauté until golden brown and cooked through.
- Make the sauce: Stir in the garlic and cornstarch. Pour in the almond milk stirring continuously for a couple of minutes, to create a creamy sauce.
- Combine all other ingredients: Add the kale and tomatoes, and cook for a minute, just until wilted. Add the cooked pasta and parmesan cheese. Stir to combine, then remove from heat and serve.
Tips for recipe success
This chicken and pasta recipe is really simple, but here are a few tips to make sure it’s absolutely perfect every time!
- Cooking pasta: Don’t forget to season the water with plenty of salt before adding in the pasta; otherwise this dish may taste under-seasoned. As a general rule of thumb, add 1 teaspoon of salt per 4 cups of water.
- Cutting the chicken: We recommend cutting the chicken into similar-sized pieces, so it all cooks at the same rate.
- More veggies: Feel free to add more vegetables to this skillet meal; such as asparagus, broccoli, peppers, or even mushrooms.
- Gluten-free option: Make this chicken pasta gluten-free by using gluten-free brown rice penne pasta instead of regular penne. You can also use whole wheat pasta if you’d like.
Frequently asked questions
Definitely! Chicken makes for a great option to add to any kind of pasta dish for some added protein. Whether you cook the chicken with the pasta or mix it in later, the addition will make your pasta recipe super satisfying with that added protein.
Whether or not a recipe is healthy or not is subjective, but this pasta recipe contains a good amount of protein, plus vitamins and minerals from the added vegetables. To add a boost of nutrition, try a pasta option like whole-grain, lentil, and chickpea pasta that are low in carbs and rich in fiber and nutrients.
When we serve this, we like to keep the sides pretty simple because this is one satisfying meal. Some favorite pairing options: simple green salad, green veggies, and/or crusty bread.
Leftover pasta can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. Reheat gently in the microwave, splashed with a bit of water or milk to keep it from drying out as you rewarm it. I do not recommend freezing leftovers.
More pasta recipes
- Baked Tomato Feta Pasta
- Chicken Parmesan Pasta
- Creamy Cajun Chicken Pasta
- Cajun Shrimp Pasta
- Tuscan Chicken Pasta
- Chicken Pasta Salad
- Asparagus Chicken Pasta
Other recipes to check out that you may like
- Easy Italian Wedding Soup
- Healthy Shrimp Scampi
- Mediterranean Baked Salmon
- Garlic Shrimp in Creamy Mushroom Sauce
- Crispy Baked Greek Potatoes
Also, if you try a recipe and you like it, leave us some feedback in the comment section below. Don’t forget to rate the recipe, too! We would love it if you shared it with friends and family.
Finally, please use our hashtag #healthyfitnessmeals on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured! FOLLOW Healthy Fitness Meals on FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER for all of our latest blog posts and recipes.
Chicken and Pasta Recipe
- 10 oz penne pasta
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb chicken breast cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- Kosher salt and pepper to taste
- 3-4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 cup almond milk
- 2 cups packed chopped kale
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes quartered
- 1/2 cup ground Parmesan cheese
- Cook the pasta in salted water according to package directions. Once ready, drain and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a deep skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and season with the Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper. Cook until golden brown and cooked through.
- Stir in the garlic and cornstarch. Pour in the almond milk, stirring continuously for a couple of minutes, to create a creamy sauce.
- Add the kale, tomatoes, and cook for a minute, just until wilted. Add the cooked pasta and parmesan cheese. Stir to combine then remove from heat and serve.
When do I add the cherry tomatoes ?
Rena Awada says
Hi. I fixed it. Add it in with the kale. If you want the tomatoes more wilted and cooked through, add them in as the chicken is cooked half way.
When is best time to add tomatoes I did not see in the instructions.
Rena Awada says
Hi. Sorry about that. I fixed it. Add it in with the kale. If you want the tomatoes more wilted and cooked through, add them in as the chicken is cooked halfway.