This Easy Slow Cooker Pot Roast is a rich and hearty meal that’s seasoned with an aromatic and zesty layer of taco seasoning. Perfect for a weeknight dinner for any occasion any day of the week. So good, it will become a family favorite.
Nothing says home-cooked wholesomeness like some rump roast dinner with potatoes and carrots. With this easy slow cooker pot roast recipe, why wait for Sunday?
A budget-friendly, extra-lean cut of meat, lovingly seared to golden perfection and slow-cooked for hours, will guarantee a mouthful of happiness after a full day. The rump roast is seared until golden brown giving it a beautiful, delicious crust. All that’s left is to place it in the slow cooker and let it slowly tenderize with flavorful potatoes and carrots. With the addition of immune-boosting fresh thyme and the penetrating flavor boost of Worcestershire sauce, your slow cooker rump roast gets a delicious umami finish. Is it dinner time yet?
Why You’ll Love This Easy Slow Cooker Pot Roast Recipe
- Easy and convenient: This slow cooker pot roast recipe is easy to make, a perfectly healthy dinner that will be ready and waiting when you get home. All made in one pot
- Wholesome: full-flavored meat and potatoe meal with loads of protein and veggies to make it a complete meal.
- A budget-friendly and healthy extra-lean cut of roast that feeds a large family or provides two meals for a small one.
Equipment Needed To Make the Beef CROCK POT Rump Roast
- Heavy bottom pan
- Kitchen twine
Ingredients and substitute For Your Easy Crock Pot
- Beef rump roast: another cut of beef can be used like chuck roast
- Taco Seasoning: This seasoning can be swapped with another one like smoked paprika, cajun, and/or thyme.
- Salt and pepper: adjust to taste. Start with one tablespoo
- Oil: we used olive oil, but you may use any otehr oil of choice.
- Carrots: We love the combination of carrots with roast. You don’t like carrots? Sub it with another veggie of choice.
- Baby potatoes: you may use any other potatoes
- Garlic: Use fresh garlic cloves if posisble.
- Broth: We used beef broth, you may use any other broth thats available.
- Worcestershire Sauce: use soy sauce if you don’t have this ingredient
- Ketchup: We love this ingredient and recommend it.
- Fresh thyme
How To Make This Easy Slow Cooker Pot Roast
Season the beef with taco seasoning, salt, and pepper on all sides.
Heat the oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add the beef and sear until golden brown on all sides. Transfer to the slow cooker. Add in the remaining ingredients.
Cook on LOW for 8-9 hours or on HIGH for 4-5 hours.
Once the time is up, remove and discard the thyme bouquet and garnish it with fresh thyme.
What To Serve/Pair With Your Slow Cooker Rump Roast With Vegetables Recipe
- Easy Marinated Tomato Salad
- Garlic Roasted Mushrooms
- Baked Apples
- White Rice
- Cauliflower Rice
- Cauliflower Mash Potatoes
Beef Rump Roast Crock Pot FAQs
Yes! Roasts are always more flavor intensive and savory with a nice all-over-sear before the low and slow cooking process.
When you sear meat, proteins and sugars react to the heat; they reduce to create a non-enzymatic browning process, known as the Maillard reaction. This browning process creates that beautiful, fragrant, savory golden crust on the meat.
Pro tip: allow the rump roast to almost come up to room temperature before searing.
Of course! Chuck roast is a popular beef cut from the shoulder; it is also a great cut of meat for a slow cooker roast but is not as lean and has more marbling than the rump roast.
I recommend a rump roast because it is considered an extra-lean cut. Sometimes called a bottom round rump roast or round tip roast, the flavorful rump roast comes from the hindquarters and is well suited for slow cooking.
Too much water, not enough water, too high a temperature, or not enough cooking time can all add up to a tough piece of meat. You want to make sure you braise your beef in the slow cooker with only enough water to come up to about ⅓ of the roast. Do not submerge in liquid as this will boil the meat and can result in a tougher roast.
Pro tip: to increase tenderness, slice roast across the grain in thin, even slices
More simple dinner Recipes you may like
- Easy Homemade Beef Stew
- Beef Stroganoff Soup
- Keto Turkey Stuffed Peppers
- Easy Ground Turkey Meatloaf
- Creamy Chicken and Rice Soup
If you try a recipe and you like it, leave us some feedback in the comment section below, and don’t forget to rate it! We would love it if you shared it with friends and family.
Finally, please use our hashtag #healthyfitnessmeals on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured! FOLLOW Healthy Fitness Meals on FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER for all of our latest blog posts and recipes.
Easy Slow Cooker Pot Roast
- 3 lb beef rump roast chuck or round will be fine
- 2 tsp taco seasoning cajun or smoked paprika can be substituted
- kosher salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp olive oil or avocado oil
- 3 medium carrots cut into 2″ slices
- 1 lb. baby potatoes halved
- 4 garlic cloves chopped
- 2 cups beef broth or vegetable broth
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 6-7 fresh thyme spears bouquet + extra to garnish
- Season the beef with taco seasoning, salt, and pepper on all sides.
- Heat the oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add the beef and sear until golden brown on all sides. Transfer to the slow cooker. Add in the remaining ingredients.
- Cook on LOW for 8-9 hours or on HIGH for 4-5 hours.
- Once the time is up, remove and discard the thyme bouquet and garnish it with fresh thyme.
- use chuck roast instead of rump roast if you like.
- any other choice of oil works.
- you can alter the veggies and use any other veggies of choice.
- any broth you have handy works
- store leftovers in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 5 days