Enjoy the spicy healthy flavors of these super easy Shrimp Tacos with Fresh Pineapple Salsa and Cabbage. This recipe for simple, spicy shrimp tacos is the best because it is ready in no more than 30 minutes and filled with fresh ingredients with bold flavors such as fresh cilantro, colorful bell pepper, jalepeño, and fresh lime. Pineapple shrimp tacos are crispy on the outside and deliciously tender on the inside!
Simple spicy Shrimp Tacos are yummy all on their own, but this easy recipe features a delicious, fresh pineapple salsa that is fruity and tropical which pairs perfectly with the savory hot flavors of crispy shrimp.
These healthy and easy lime shrimp tacos are some of the tastiest tacos we’ve ever had because the pan-fried shrimp is served atop fresh purple cabbage that is wrapped in a soft corn tortilla and served with fresh leafy cilantro. The sweet pineapple salsa balances out the flavors of the spicy chili powder and jalapeño which makes it the perfect combination of savory and sweet.
This recipe for homemade pineapple salsa and easy shrimp tacos is quick, light but filling, and a great way to add some spicy and refreshing seafood flavors to your dinner rotation. Looking for new taco recipes for Taco Tuesday? Shrimp tacos are simple and ready in just a few easy steps.
These tacos with cilantro and lime are perfect for grilling out, BBQs, holidays, special occasions, and easy weeknight dinners. This one-pan meal is an easy solution to dinner woes!
WHY THESE HEALTHY AND EASY SHRIMP TACOS ARE THE BEST
- Quick: You will not believe how quickly these simple shrimp tacos come together. Just cook the shrimp in the skillet, prepare the salsa, and assemble for the one of the easiest taco recipes.
- Versatile: You can prepare these fried shrimp tacos so many different ways! You can create grilled shrimp tacos with pineapple salsa, blackened shrimp tacos, add extra spices for Cajun flavors, and customize the salsa by adding other fruit like mangoes or strawberries.
- Healthy and Gluten-Free: Served with corn tortillas, these healthy shrimp tacos are great for gluten-free dinners at home whenever you are wanting to prepare a meal with fresh wholesome ingredients without all the processed stuff.
- Fresh and Spicy: The fresh ingredients of bell peppers, jalapeño, cilantro, cabbage, and pineapple really bring these easy shrimp tacos to the next level because they balance the aromatic spicy flavors of chili powder.
INGREDIENTS FOR THIS SPICY SHRIMP TACO RECIPE
- Olive Oil: Organic high quality olive oil is a healthy and aromatic vegetable oil that is used to cook the shrimp on the stovetop. Any kind of vegetable cooking oil will work.
- Shrimp: Make sure the shrimp are peeled, deveined, and without tails. If you are using frozen shrimp, then make sure to thaw the shrimp in icy cold water just before making these tacos. For extra flavorful shrimp, you can use my easy Cajun shrimp recipe.C
- Chili Powder: Spicy fragrant chili powder gives these shrimp plenty of depth and heat making them hot but not too spicy.
- Kosher Salt and Black Pepper: Simple salt and pepper are used to season everything until they have the best flavors. Adjust the seasoning as needed.
- Pineapple: Fresh pineapple is used for the pineapple salsa and is juicy, sweet, and delicious to bite into. You can use any fresh pineapple you have or even canned chopped pineapppe.
- Bell Pepper: Red bell pepper gives these shrimp tacos plenty of crunch. All you need is one half of a bell pepper.
- Jalapeño Pepper: Hot jalapeño provides extra heat for these spicy shrimp tacos but can be omitted.
- Lime Juice: Bold freshly squeezed lime juice is spritzed within the pineapple salsa and makes these tacos extra bright and fresh.
- Fresh Cilantro: Leafy cilantro is a great herb for these tacos because it has such a fresh clean flavor. Fresh parsley would be great for these tacos, too.
- Cabbage: Tender cabbage is layered underneath the cooked shrimp for fresh crunch and texture.
- Tortillas: Corn tortillas are our favorite to use for fish and fresh tacos because they have yummy fresh flavors but flour tortillas can be used if you are not gluten-free.
HOW TO MAKE THE SIMPLE TACOS
- Cook the shrimp: First, in a medium or large skillet, heat vegetable oil over medium heat until warm. Next, season the shrimp with chili powder, salt, and pepper on both sides before placing in the skillet. Make sure the oil is hot before you add the shrimp to the pan so the shrimp get a nice blackened look and flavor. In a single layer, cook the shrimp in the pan for two to three minutes until pink. Avoid overcrowdind the shrimp in the pan by cooking in small batches and do not overcook the shrimp.
- Prepare pineapple salsa: Remove the shrimp from the hot pan and set aside. Meanwhile, prepare the fresh pineapple salsa by combining freshly diced pineapple, diced bell pepper, minced jalapeño, freshly squeezed lime juice, and finely chopped cilantro leaves in a medium bowl. Cover the bowl with a lid or plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for at least fifteen minutes prior to serving so the juicy fresh flavors absorb one another and the salsa becomes extra flavorful.
- Assemble and serve: Once you are ready to serve the tacos, warm the tortillas using the stovetop, oven, or microwave and add a handful of fresh purple cabbage to the center of each warm tortilla. Next, place the cooked shrimp atop the cabbage and top with pineappe salsa. Serve the tacos either warm are cold–both options are perfectly delicious.
Frequently Asked Questions
In our opinion, we prefer to eat spicy shrimp tacos with corn tortillas because they are healthier and taste way better, but flour tortillas will also work for these easy tacos.
There are a bunch of different traditional foods that can go with these shrimp tacos including pico de gallo, cilantro lime rice or cauliflower rice, fresh salad, guacamole, tomato salsa, tortilla chips, Mexican street corn salad, and more.
Shrimp can be seasoned with almost anything which is why we like to cook with it so much! Season your shrimp with spices and seasoning blends like paprika, cayenne pepper, garlic, onion powder, Kosher salt, and oregano. Old Bay seasoning is also great for shrimp.
We enjoy these healthy shrimp tacos with easy sides including fresh vegetables like asparagus or broccoli, fruit and veggie salads, potatoes, and corn.
Recipe Notes, Tips, and Substitions
- Instead of shrimp, prepare these spicy tacos with diced chicken, different types of fish like tilapia, catfish, or salmon, or even tofu.
- Avoid overcooking the shrimp for the best flavors and textures.
- Create a simple fresh coleslaw with lime juice for these tacos.
- For extra spice, you can add your favorite hot sauce or extra jalapeños to the taco recipe.
- Serve these tacos with a homemade avocado crema or cotija cheese crumbles.
- Store the leftovers in the refrigerator for up to three to four days. Separate the tortillas and salsa from the shrimp to keep everything fresh-flavored.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH CRISPY SHRIMP TACOS
Enjoy this simple taco recipe with a variety of mouthwatering foods including:
- Garlic Roasted Broccolini
- Crispy Smashed Potatoes
- Spinach Apple Pecan Salad
- Easy Marinated Tomatoes
- Oven-Roasted Parmesan Garlic Green Beans
MORE SHRIMP RECIPES
- Shrimp Fajita Bowls
- Easy Hawaiian Shrimp Lettuce Wraps
- Shrimp Stuffed Avocado Recipe
- Asian Shrimp Zucchini Noodles Recipe
- Shrimp Taco Bowls
- Easy Pesto Shrimp
- Easy Teriyaki Shrimp
- Cajun Shrimp Pasta
Shrimp Tacos with Pineapple Salsa Recipe
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 and ¼ pounds of shrimp peeled, deveined and tails removed
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup of pineapple finely diced
- ½ cup red bell pepper finely diced
- ½ jalapeno pepper minced (remove seeds and ribs to make it milder)
- 1 lime juiced
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves finely chopped, loosely packed
- 1 cup shredded purple cabbage
- 8 corn tortillas
- For the shrimp: Heat the olive oil over high heat in a large pan. Season both sides of the shrimp with chili powder and salt to taste. Place the shrimp in a single layer in the pan and sear for 2-3 minutes per side, until shrimp are pink and cooked through.
- For the pineapple salsa: Combine all the ingredients in a bowl, add salt to taste. Cover the bowl and place it in the refrigerator for at least 15 minutes, up to 4 hours.
- To serve Warm the tortillas. Add a handful of cabbage to each tortilla and place the shrimp on top of the cabbage. Top with pineapple salsa and serve immediately.