Black Bean Enchiladas Recipe – Easy Vegetarian Enchiladas made with black beans instead of beef, topped with red chile sauce, and baked to perfection. Quick and Perfect lunch or dinner recipe that the whole family can enjoy.
Easy Black Bean Enchiladas Recipe
This vegetarian black bean enchilada recipe is perfect for those busy weeknights. They are packed with flavor and tastes just like what you would order at a restaurant. Drenched with a delicious enchilada sauce then topped with cheese and some freshly cut tomatoes and cilantro.
Do you use corn or flour tortillas for enchiladas?
Traditionally, corn tortillas are usually used for enchiladas. But, flour tortillas will work just as well. If you are using flour tortillas choose 7 0r 8-inch tortillas and depending on which dish you use, you can fit about 7-8 enchiladas in the dish. Corn tortillas are about 6 inches in diameter.
Do you have to fry tortillas for enchiladas?
Some people do fry their tortillas a bit to prevent their enchiladas from getting soggy when you add the enchilada sauce. If you prefer to do this step you may do so with a bit of oil in a pan and fry each one slightly. Once the tortilla is coated with oil it will prevent the sauce from sticking to the tortilla. Keep in mind this step is not really necessary and I skipped it for this Black bean enchiladas recipe.
Making this Black bean enchilada recipe?
I would love to find out what your thoughts are on this enchilada recipe. Leave me some feedback in the comments below. Tag me on Instagram so I can see your remakes.
Here are a few other Mexican inspired dishes you can check out:
- Taco Stuffed Zucchini Cups
- Mexican Grilled Chicken Bowl
- Creamy Mexican Street Corn Salad
- Mexican Shrimp Salad Recipe
- Healthy Mexican Street Corn
Also, remember to subscribe to my NEWSLETTER for free and receive recipes like this Black Bean Enchilada Recipe delivered right to your inbox!
Finally, if you try a recipe and you like it, please use my hashtag #healthyfitnessmeals on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured! FOLLOW Healthy Fitness Meals on FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER for all of my latest blog posts and recipes.
Black Bean Enchiladas
- 2 Tsp Olive Oil
- 1 15 oz Can Black beans drained
- ½ Cup Finely Chopped Onion
- 2 Tsp Chili Powder
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1½ Cup Reduced-fat cheddar cheese divided use
- 8 Corn Tortillas
- 1 10 oz Can Red Enchilada Sauce
- ½ Cup Diced tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp Chopped Cilantro
- Cooking Spray
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Coat an 11”x7” baking dish with cooking spray.
- Heat the olive oil in a medium pan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook for 3-4 minutes or until softened.
- Stir in the black beans, chili powder, and salt and pepper to taste. Cook for 2-3 more minutes.
- Place the tortillas in a stack on a plate and cover with a damp paper towel. Microwave for 1 minute or until tortillas is pliable.
- Divide the black bean mixture evenly between the tortillas and top each one with 1 tablespoon of cheese.
- Roll up the tortillas and place them seam side down in the baking dish.
- Pour the enchilada sauce over the top and sprinkle the remaining cup of cheese over the sauce
- Bake for 20 minutes or until sauce is bubbling and cheese is melted
- Top with diced tomatoes and chopped cilantro, then serve.