This Baked Crack Chicken Recipe is an incredible dish that’s super easy to make! Tender seasoned chicken breasts are seared until golden brown, and then topped with a flavorful cream cheese mixture and a slice of pepper jack cheese and baked until everything is creamy, cheesy, and irresistible!
Crack chicken may sound like a silly name, but if you’ve never tried it, you’re in for a real treat. It gets the name because it’s deliciously addicting! The combination of ranch seasonings with chicken, cream cheese, and pepper jack cheese is SO good. Plus, it’s made with simple, minimal ingredients, most of which are pantry staple seasonings. This is one of those recipes you’re going to want to make again and again!
Reasons you will love this recipe
- Super easy: This crack chicken recipe only requires 3 key ingredients, plus seasonings, that all cook together to make an amazing dish, all in one skillet. This means very little mess and cleanup is a breeze.
- Super tasty! When combined, perfectly cooked chicken, two types of creamy cheese, and ranch seasoning create an unbelievably good meal that will please everyone at the table.
- Crowd favorite: This is a great dish to serve when hosting guests because everyone loves cheesy chicken that can be served in a variety of ways! It’s kid-friendly too! This recipe is sure to become a regular in your weeknight meal rotation.
This crack chicken recipe is a satisfying, hearty meal with just a handful of ingredients. It’s a simple dish, yet the joining of these items creates the best flavor. Everyone will be requesting seconds! Here’s everything you’ll need:
- Chicken: We like to use boneless skinless chicken breasts for this recipe. However, boneless skinless chicken thighs are another option, if you prefer.
- Seasonings: The combination of garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika, dried parsley, dried dill weed, kosher salt, and pepper offers a signature ranch flavor that tastes wonderful.
- Olive oil: For cooking the chicken.
- Cream cheese: Blends with the ranch seasoning to give the chicken a creamy, rich flavor.
- Sliced cheese: Use pepper jack cheese in this recipe for a buttery flavor similar to Monterey Jack cheese, but with the added kick of spicy peppers.
- Green onions: Optional, for a colorful garnish.
How to make this recipe
- Prep chicken: Preheat the oven to 400ºF. Lightly pound the chicken breasts to a 1⁄2-inch even thickness and season with salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and paprika.
- Sear the chicken: Preheat a large oven-safe skillet over medium-high heat and drizzle with the oil. Sear the chicken until golden brown on both sides, then set aside.
- Make the cream cheese sauce: In a bowl, combine the cream cheese and dried seasonings until well incorporated.
- Add cheese to chicken: Remove the skillet from heat and top each chicken breast with a spoonful of the cream cheese mixture; spread it to cover the entire chicken breast, then top with a slice of cheese.
- Bake chicken: Place in the oven and bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through and the cheese is melted. Garnish with green onions and serve warm.
- Chicken breast size: Choose chicken breasts that are all about the same size and shape, so that they’ll cook at the same rate. Also, be sure to pound them out, so they are not too thick and all the same thickness.
- Don’t overcook chicken: Only sear the chicken before adding the cheese. Be sure not to cook it all the way through, as it will finish cooking in the oven.
- Cream cheese: We do not recommend using low-fat cream cheese. It won’t melt as well or be as rich as regular cream cheese.
Frequently asked questions
Crack chicken is a popular recipe that is typically made with cream cheese, ranch seasonings, cheese, and sometimes bacon. It can be baked, made on the stovetop, in a crock pot, or in an instant pot. It is also often times shredded and piled on buns for sandwiches.
This dish is often called crack chicken because the chicken, cream cheese, and ranch seasoning is an addictive combination. It’s a comforting meal that’s great for serving at potlucks, family gatherings, and for busy weeknights!
Here are some new options, so you never get bored with this recipe:
- Bacon: Serve with cooked, crumbled bacon over the top.
- Cheese: Try a different type of cheese. Colby jack, cheddar cheese, or even Swiss are delicious choices.
- Slow cooker: Let the crock pot do all of the work and have a delicious hands-off dinner ready for you! Simply, place chicken, seasonings, and cream cheese into the slow cooker for 6-8 hours on low, and then about 30 minutes before enjoying add the sliced cheese.
One of the great things about this crack chicken recipe is there are so many serving options. Many times we just serve it with a fresh green salad, but here are some other ways to mix it up:
- Shred the chicken and serve it piled on hamburger buns or wrapped up in a tortilla.
- Either shredded or un-shredded, this is fabulous atop a plate of pasta.
- Shred it up and serve it as a dip with crackers, chips, and freshly chopped veggies.
- Pair it with mashed potatoes or mashed cauliflower for a low-carb, keto-friendly option.
- Storing: Place leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to about 4 days. Pop individual servings in the microwave to reheat.
More chicken recipes
- Honey Chipotle Grilled Chicken
- Marry Me Chicken Skillet
- Lemon Chicken Breast
- Cilantro Lime Chicken and Rice Recipe
- Boneless BBQ Chicken Breast
- Asian Chopped Chicken Salad
- Baked Buffalo Chicken Breast
- Creamy Peri Peri Chicken
If you try a recipe and you like it, leave us some feedback in the comment section below. Don’t forget to rate the recipe, too! We would love it if you shared it with friends and family.
Finally, please use our hashtag #healthyfitnessmeals on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured! FOLLOW Healthy Fitness Meals on FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTERfor all of our latest blog posts and recipes.
Baked Crack Chicken Recipe
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Kosher salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/3 cup cream cheese at room temp
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp dried parsley
- 1/2 tsp dried dill weed
- 4 slices pepper jack cheese
- 2-3 green onions thinly sliced
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF. Lightly pound the chicken breasts to a 1⁄2-inch even thickness and season with salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and paprika.
- Preheat a large oven-safe skillet over medium-high heat and drizzle with the oil. Sear the chicken until golden brown on both sides, then set aside.
- In a bowl, combine the cream cheese and dried seasonings until well incorporated.
- Remove the skillet from heat and top each chicken breast with a spoonful of the cream cheese mixture; spread it to cover the entire chicken breast, then top with a slice of cheese.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through and the cheese is melted. Garnish with green onions and serve warm.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container, in the fridge, for up to about 4 days.
- You may use low-fat cheese
- Swap chicken breast with boneless and skinless chicken thighs if needed