In need of an easy, crowd-pleasing dinner recipe? Southwest Chicken Alfredo with incredible Mexican-style flavors coming right up! This dish combines pasta, seasoned chicken, corn, red bell pepper, tomatoes, and plenty of cheese, all tossed in the most amazing creamy sauce. A quick and easy dinner option that’s always a big hit with both kids and adults.
Ultra creamy with layers of irresistible bold flavor, this chicken pasta recipe is a hearty dinner option that is sure to impress your family and friends.
Why you should make this alfredo pasta recipe
- Super satisfying. This meal is incredibly delicious, comforting, and filling. It’s sure to become a family favorite!
- Healthier: We’re combining high-protein chicken, and veggie goodness with corn, bell pepper, and tomatoes, and the creamy sauce is made with almond milk rather than heavy cream for fewer calories and fat.
- Quick & easy: Such an easy recipe with simple methods that can be whipped up in less than 30 minutes from start to finish.
- So tasty! This is one of the most delicious pasta dishes and should not be missed. It’s bound to become a family favorite and you’ll want to add it to your regular dinner rotation.
This hearty dinner is packed with protein, vegetables, and flavor from a blend of simple seasonings. Here’s everything you’ll need to make it:
- Pasta: Use any pasta you have on hand. It doesn’t have to be a specific kind or shape. For a healthier option, you may use lentil or chickpea pasta.
- Oil: We used olive oil for cooking the chicken. Avocado oil is also a great option.
- Chicken breast: This calls for boneless skinless chicken breast, but chicken thighs will also work. You’ll want to chop the chicken into bite-sized pieces.
- Spices: A blend of chili powder, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, cumin, salt, and pepper give this recipe the perfect southwest flavor. You could also add in some red pepper flakes if you love food spicy.
- Veggies: We’re adding a colorful mix of corn, red bell pepper, and crushed tomatoes.
- For the sauce: Cornstarch mixed with almond milk creates a nice creamy Alfredo sauce.
- Shredded cheese: We use cheddar cheese, but a Mexican blend would work great too.
How to make this chicken alfredo recipe
This chicken Alfredo recipe could not be easier and it’s super quick to put it all together. Here’s the simple method:
For the full, printable recipe, reference the recipe card at the bottom of the page.
Boil pasta. Start a pot of salted boiling water and cook the pasta until al dente and according to package instructions. Once cooked, drain and set aside.
Cook chicken. While your pasta water is boiling and the pasta is cooking, you can season and cook the chicken. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the chicken and seasonings and cook, stirring occasionally until the chicken is completely cooked through, about 5 minutes. Stir in the corn and bell pepper and cook for a couple of minutes more. Set aside on a plate.
Make the sauce: Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk the milk and cornstarch until smooth. Pour the milk mixture into the pan and stir continuously through the bottom of the pan until the sauce has thickened. Add the crushed tomatoes and half of the cheddar cheese and stir well to combine. Allow the sauce to bubble for a few minutes; taste and season to your taste with salt and pepper. If needed, add more of the seasonings to reach your desired taste.
Finish the dish: Return the chicken and veggies into the pan with the sauce, together with the cooked pasta. Stir to combine, then sprinkle with the remaining cheese. Garnish with chopped parsley, if desired.
- We recommend seasoning the pasta water with plenty of salt before adding it to the pasta. As a general rule of thumb, add 1 teaspoon of salt per 4 cups of water.
- Chop the chicken into similar-sized pieces, so it cooks evenly.
- We use boneless skinless chicken breasts or chicken tenders, but chicken thighs will also work just fine.
- Use freshly grated cheese if possible; it has more flavor than the pre-shredded variety and melts smoothly.
Frequently asked questions
Your typical Alfredo and pasta recipe is served with fettuccini noodles, however a more hearty dish like this one pair really well with a short pasta like bowtie (farfalle), penne, fusilli, or ziti.
In this healthier Alfredo recipe, we’re using a mix of almond milk and cornstarch to make the sauce thick and creamy without the need for heavy cream.
Leftover chicken Alfredo pasta can be stored in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. Reheat gently in the microwave or in a skillet, splashed with a bit of milk to keep it from drying out as you rewarm it.
More easy chicken recipes
- Chicken Adobo
- Chicken Enchilada Casserole
- Baked Boneless Chicken Thighs
- Chicken Vegetable Soup
- Easy Chicken Milanese
recipes you may like
- Spaghetti Casserole Recipe
- Leftover Turkey Soup
- Cheesy Potato Casserole
- Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
- Instant Pot Sweet Potatoes
If you try a recipe and you like it, leave us some feedback in the comment section below, and don’t forget to rate it! We would love it if you shared it with friends and family.
Finally, please use our hashtag #healthyfitnessmeals on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured! FOLLOW Healthy Fitness Meals on FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER for all of our latest blog posts and recipes.
Southwest Chicken Alfredo
- 12 oz pasta
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb chicken breast chopped
- 1 tsp chili powder or to taste
- 1 tsp onion powder or to taste
- 1 tsp garlic powder or to taste
- 1 tsp paprika or to taste
- 1/2 tsp cumin or to taste
- Kosher salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 1 cup almond milk or any milk of choice
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 (15 oz) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- Optional to garnish: chopped fresh parsley
- Cook the pasta in salted water according to package directions to al-dente. Drain and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the chicken and seasonings and cook, stirring occasionally until cooked through. Once the chicken is done, stir in the corn and bell pepper and cook for a couple of minutes more. Set aside on a plate.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk the milk and cornstarch until smooth. Pour the milk mixture into the pan and stir continuously through the bottom of the pan until the sauce has thickened.
- Add the crushed tomatoes and half of the cheddar cheese and stir well to combine. Allow the sauce to bubble for a few minutes; taste and season to your taste with salt and pepper. If needed, add more of the seasonings to reach your desired taste.
- Return the chicken and veggies into the pan with the sauce, together with the cooked pasta. Stir to combine, then sprinkle with the remaining cheese. Garnish with chopped parsley, if desired.