This Kung Pao Chicken recipe is made healthier so you can now enjoy your favorite Chinese takeout right at home. Stir-fried chicken breast with the perfect combination of salty, spicy and sweet Kung Pao Sauce recipe.
Healthy Kung Pao Chicken with Sauce recipe
This Kung Pao Chicken recipe rivals the classic takeout recipe you love so dearly. Yes, the take-out Kung pao chicken is amazing. But how about making the healthier takeout version while you get the same great taste and fewer calories? Made with lean chicken breasts that are cut into small chunk sizes, sauteed with bell peppers and added veggies and tossed in with a sweet, tangy and spicy sauce. Top with some crunchy roasted peanuts and then add over some brown rice, cauliflower rice or some quinoa.
What is Kung Pao Sauce recipe made of?
A recipe of Kung pao sauce will typically include soy sauce, garlic, ginger, dried chili peppers or flakes, vinegar, scallions, and sugar. To thicken the sauce I used a little bit of cornstarch.
Ingredients I used for my Kung Pao sauce recipe are:
- Soy Sauce
- Sesame oil
- Chili Flakes
What does Kung Pao Taste like?
Kung Pao sauce has a unique sweet, spicy and tangy taste to it. The combination of these unique flavors makes it a winner among many Chinese dishes. Furthermore, Kung Pao sauce tastes great with chicken or shrimp, topped usually with crunchy salted peanuts.
I would love to know what your thoughts are if you made this Kung Pao Chicken recipe. Do you have a special Kung Pao sauce recipe you would like to share with me? Please leave me a comment below. If you really loved this recipe it would be just awesome if you give it a 5 star!
Also, I have a few other recipes that you might like to check out:
- Chicken Fajitas Recipe and Marinade
- Easy Sushi Bowl
- Spicy Shrimp Avocado Salad Recipe
- Asian Chicken Cups Recipe
- Teriyaki Chicken Meal Prep Bowls Recipe
- Asian Chopped Chicken Salad
Finally, remember to subscribe to my NEWSLETTER for free and receive recipes like this Healthy Kung Pao Chicken Recipe delivered right to your inbox!
Also, if you try a recipe and you like it, please use my hashtag #healthyfitnessmeals on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured! FOLLOW Healthy Fitness Meals on FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER for all of my latest blog posts and recipes.
Healthy Kung Pao Chicken
- 1 ½ lb Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 Tbsp Vegetable oil
- 1 White Onion Diced
- 1 lb Asparagus ends trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 Tbsp Chopped Roasted Peanuts roughly chopped
- 1 Tbsp Green onions thinly sliced
- 2 Red Bell Peppers Diced
For the Sauce
- 2 Tsp Cornstarch divided
- 1/4 Cup Low Sodium Soy Sauce
- 1/4 Cup Sesame Oil
- 3 Tbsp Water
- 3 Tbsp Rice vinegar
- 3 Tbsp Honey
- 2-3 Garlic Cloves Minced
- 1 Tbsp Minced Ginger
- 1 Tsp Chili Flakes
- OPTIONAL: cooked brown rice, cauliflower rice
- Start by making the sauce. Add all ingredients into a small bowl, and whisk well to combine.
- Add diced chicken to a shallow dish and pour half of the sauce over. Allow it to marinate for at least 15 min.
- Heat vegetable oil in a wok or large skillet over medium-high heat. Add in the chicken in a single layer.
- Let it cook for about 2-3 minutes, or until starts to brown, then stir and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes, or until almost cooked through.
- Stir in the chopped veggies, and stir fry for 2-3 minutes more.
- Pour over the remaining sauce and simmer, stirring frequently for a couple of minutes more.
- Take the wok off the heat, and sprinkle with peanuts and green onions.
- Serve over cooked brown rice or cauliflower rice and enjoy!