This Sweet Potato Breakfast Skillet recipe will kickstart your morning with the energy you need to keep you going. It’s easy to make plus its whole 30, Paleo and Gluten-Free.
This Sweet Potato Breakfast Skillet recipe is not only delicious, but it’s also actually really good for you! There are so many health benefits of including sweet potatoes into your diet as opposed to having regular potatoes. This healthy sweet potato breakfast is a perfect combination of protein, fat, and fiber you need to include in your diet.
Just a few health benefits of Sweet Potatoes to think of when making this Sweet Potato Breakfast Skillet. They are rich in Vitamin A because they have high levels of beta carotene which helps our body fight infections. They have high antioxidant properties that help with aging. Sweet potatoes have been the center of talk that they may help with weight loss because is a resistant starch that keeps you full and regulates blood sugar because it bypasses digestion in the small intestines.
Why you will love this sweet potato and egg breakfast
- Healthy and good for you: Loaded with fiber and protein, this sweet potato egg breakfast skillet is perfectly healthy.
- Filling: With the right amount of protein, fat, and good carbs, it will keep you full for hours.
- Delicious: The combination of sweet potatoes and eggs is so good.
Ingredients you will need
- Sweet Potatoes: if you don’t like sweet potatoes, you can use baby potatoes.
- Olive oil: or you can use any other neutral-tasting oil.
- Large Eggs: use organic and free-range if you can.
- Uncured Bacon: or use Turkey bacon or your favorite sausage
- White Onion: or sweet onions.
- Green Onion: optional to garnish
- Salt and pepper to taste
How to cook this sweet potatoes breakfast
Essentially there are different methods of cooking your sweet potatoes and it all comes down to what you prefer and how they taste to you and of course convenience. For this Sweet Potato Breakfast Skillet recipe I simply just baked them for a crisp look. Here are a few ways you can cook your sweet potatoes.
Bake: Depending on the size of the potatoes and your oven, it takes about 30-40 minutes. Choose the thinner potatoes because they cook faster and remember to poke holes in them using a knife or fork before you wrap them with aluminum foil and place them in the oven.
Different ways of cooking Sweet Potatoes:
Boil: It takes about 15-20 minutes to boil sweet potatoes. If you are boiling a whole potato make sure you wash it very well beforehand. You can peel and cut the potatoes into cubes and boil them that way as well.
Microwave: Yes you can cook your sweet potatoes in the microwave. I find myself using this method when I am in a hurry. If microwaving the whole thing make sure you don’t forget to poke holes in the potatoes. It takes about 3-4 minutes for a whole potato.
There are really endless ways of cooking your sweet potatoes and it all comes down to which is your favorite and which method you feel brings out the taste and flavor in your sweet potato. You can fry them, pan sear, toast, simmer, roast, grill them, and so on.
Frequently asked questions
Yes. Including sweet potatoes for breakfast is a great way to jumpstart your day. They are high in fiber, a healthy carb option, and packed with Vitamin A.
The skin of the sweet potato is edible and safe to eat. Thoroughly was and clean the skin of the sweet potato if you plan on keeping it and using it in the recipe as we did with this sweet potato breakfast skillet.
No. It is safe and ok to microwave sweet potatoes. Make sure you poke holes in the sweet potato using a fork or a knife before microwaving it. You may partially microwave a sweet potato before cutting them into cubes and cooking it in the skillet when making this recipe.
More healthy breakfast recipes
- Breakfast Egg Muffins
- Blueberry Banana Pancakes
- Garden Veggie Frittata
- Cranberry Almond Breakfast Cookies
- Instant Pot Oatmeal
- PB&J Overnight Oats
IF you try a recipe and you like it, please use my hashtag #healthyfitnessmeals on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured! FOLLOW Healthy Fitness Meals on FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER for all of my latest blog posts and recipes.
Sweet Potato Breakfast Skillet recipe below:
Sweet Potato Breakfast Skillet
- 2 Large Sweet Potatoes cubed, peel if you like
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 3 Large Eggs
- 3 Pieces Uncured Bacon I used Turkey
- 1/4 Cup White Onion Diced
- 2 Tbsp Green Onion Chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 F and prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper. Toss the cubed sweet potatoes in a bowl with 1 tablespoon of olive oil until well coated.
- Transfer the sweet potatoes to the baking sheet and bake for 20-30 minutes OR you can toss them in the air fryer at 400F for 10 minutes.
- In a large cast iron skillet over medium heat, cook the bacon and onion in 1 tablespoon olive oil until bacon is thoroughly cooked and onion is tender.
- Once the sweet potatoes are done, add them to skillet with the onion and bacon.
- Continue to cook for an additional 1-2 minutes and season with salt and pepper.
- Turn the oven broiler to high. Create three wells in the sweet potatoes and crack an egg in each.
- Place the skillet into the broil heated oven and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Top with green onion and more seasoning if desired.
- Use baby red potatoes if you prefer instead of sweet potatoes
- You can partially cook the sweet potatoes in the microwave first.
- Use any neutral tasting oil