Cold, thick, and refreshing, this Avocado Smoothie is the perfect filling and protein-packed breakfast or snack. You only need a handful of ingredients and 5 minutes to mix together this richly flavored, super creamy, and incredibly satisfying protein shake!
This Avocado Smoothie is not one of those smoothie recipes where you’ll be hungry not long after drinking it! It’s packed with protein and healthy fats that will keep you satiated for hours.
It’s easy to make with avocado, banana, spinach, milk, natural sweetener, and the option to add protein powder. The avocado and banana make it extra creamy and the banana masks any avocado flavor and provides sweetness. You can’t even taste the spinach and it provides many nutrients. This is the most refreshing, nutritious way to start your day!
Why you should make this recipe
- Quick & easy to make: All you need is a blender and some simple ingredients and you can have this smoothie recipe whipped up in 5 minutes.
- Good for you: It’s filled with nutrients and the boost of healthy fats and fiber from the avocado will keep you satisfied until lunch.
- Perfect for busy mornings: This avocado smoothie is very quick & simple to make and it’s a great on-the-go option.
- Flavorful: The consistency is luscious, thick, and creamy and with the sweetness from the banana, it tastes incredible.
Ingredients needed to make this green smoothie
This avocado smoothie recipe is loaded with essential vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants, and it’s SO delicious! Here’s what you’ll need to make it:
- Avocado: Did you know avocados contain more potassium than bananas?! Use a ripe, bright green avocado.
- Banana: Use very ripe frozen banana slices. They will add natural sweetness and make this shake super thick and creamy.
- Spinach: One of my favorite ingredients to add to any smoothie because you can’t taste it, yet it’s high in fiber, as well as vitamins A, C, and K.
- Milk: Use any milk you prefer, but to keep this vegan and dairy free, use plant-based milk, like almond milk.
- Vanilla extract: For a boost of flavor.
- Sweetener: Feel free to make this smoothie sweeter by adding a bit of honey, maple syrup, or agave.
- Protein powder: Add your favorite protein powder for even more staying power.
- Garnish: For extra nutrients, top this with a sprinkle of chia seeds or hemp seeds.
How to make this healthy smoothie recipe
- Blend ingredients: In a blender, add in all the ingredients and then blend on high for 1-2 minutes until it looks creamy smooth.
- Check for desired consistency: If it’s too thick, add a bit more milk to thin the smoothie and blend again.
- Serve: Pour in a cup and enjoy. If you’d like, sprinkle some chia seeds or hemp seeds over the top before serving.
- Use a high-powered blender. To make a super creamy, well-blended smoothie or protein shake it’s best to use a high-powered blender (Blendtec, Vitamix, or Ninja all work great) to break down all of the ingredients.
- Choosing an avocado. When choosing an avocado, it should be ripe with dark green skin and when squeezed it will have just a little bit of give (soft, but not overly soft). When peeled, the flesh will be bright green with no brown spots and it will smell fresh.
- To help fully blend and incorporate all of the ingredients really well, start with the blender on low speed, then gradually increase to high speed. End with the blender on low speed.
- Add more liquid. If after blending, the smoothie seems too thick or won’t fully blend, add a bit more milk to thin it out. This can be really important if you’re adding more mix-ins.
Frequently asked questions
We think so! Avocados add rich creaminess to smoothies and with the flavor of whatever fruit you add, this smoothie will not taste like guacamole.
Any fruit that you enjoy can be great mixed with avocado in a smoothie. Some tasty options are mango, strawberry, berries, pineapple, or peaches.
Avocados provide healthy fats, potassium, fiber, and plenty of B vitamins. Paired with all of the ingredients in this smoothie recipe, you will have an easy-to-make, delicious satisfying breakfast.
Experiment with ingredients to make this your own! Here are some suggestions:
- Choose the sweetener. Add up to about 2 tablespoons of honey, pure maple syrup, or agave to make this smoothie perfectly sweet. Alternatively, you could just add a packet of stevia or mix in one or two Medjool dates.
- Switch the greens. Mix it up and use 1/2 baby spinach and 1/2 kale leaves. We don’t recommend all kale leaves because kale is more bitter than spinach.
- More fruit. Feel free to swap the banana for another frozen fruit or just add in more fruit. We love blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, mango, cherries, pineapple, and peaches. The options are endless!
- Other extras to add. Aside from the option of adding protein powder, you can blend in ground flax seeds, chia seeds, hemp seeds, or oats.
More healthy smoothie recipes
- Blueberry Banana Smoothie
- Pineapple Kale Smoothie
- Tropical Protein Smoothie
- Vanilla Berry Smoothie Bowl
- Pumpkin Pie Protein Smoothie
- Berry Coconut Smoothie Bowl
If you try a recipe and you like it, leave us some feedback in the comment section below, and don’t forget to rate it! Also, we would love it if you shared it with friends and family.
Finally, please use our hashtag #healthyfitnessmeals on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured! FOLLOW Healthy Fitness Meals on FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER for all of our latest blog posts and recipes.
- 1 avocado
- 1 sliced frozen banana
- ½ cup fresh spinach
- 1 1/2 cups milk of choice
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp honey maple syrup, or agave
- 1 scoop of protein powder vanilla flavor, optional
- Chia or hemp seeds optional for garnish
- In a blender, add in all the above ingredients and then blend on high for 1-2 minutes until it looks creamy smooth.
- If it’s too thick, add a bit more milk to thin the smoothie and blend again.
- Pour in a cup and serve.
- Optional: Sprinkle a bit of chia seed or hemp seed over the smoothie before serving.
- See the full post for tips and easy ways to customize this recipe with the ingredients you have on hand!
- To make this smoothie vegan, use maple syrup instead of honey, and use plant-based protein powder.