Crockpot (slow cooker) Vegetarian Creamy Tortilla Soup
Creamy delicious vegetarian tortilla soup is loaded with flavor, filling, easy to make, and made in the crockpot or slow cooker.
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 3 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 jalapeno pepper diced
- 1 cup corn fresh, canned, or frozen
- 3/4 cup dried red lentils
- 15 oz tomato sauce
- 1 red bell pepper or green peppers, diced
- 3/4 cup salsa verde use mild or spicy
- 15 oz black beans one can, drained & rinsed
- 15 oz red beans one can, drained & rinsed
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder or 2 fresh garlic cloves
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper optional, use more for a spicier soup
- 1/2 cup light cream cheese or any creamy cheese of choice, dairy-free works great too
- Salt and pepper to taste
- crushed tortilla chips, sliced avocado, sour cream, sliced or diced jalapeños, chopped red onion, shredded cheddar, fresh cilantro
Start by prepping the vegetables; dice the onion and peppers.
Drain and rinse the beans.
Wash the lentils thoroughly under cold running water and set them aside.
For Slow-Cooker/crockpot directions:
Except for cream cheese, combine all the ingredients in a slow cooker.
Cover and cook on HIGH for 4-6 hours or on LOW for 7-8 hours, until vegetables and lentils are cooked through and the soup is thick.
Once done, remove the lid and mix in the cream cheese.
Pour the soup into a large serving bowl. Add your favorite toppings and serve warm!
- Serving size: One bowl is about 2 cups
- Don't forget to add the cream cheese at the very end
- You can use any oil of choice for this tortilla soup
- Use your favorite beans. We used black and red beans.
- Use any creamy white cheese instead of heavy cream for a creamy thick soup.
- Corn: fresh, canned, or frozen corn can be used.
- The cayenne pepper is optional if kids will be eating this we suggest you skip it. Add more if you prefer it to be spicier.
- To keep this vegetarian friendly, use vegetable broth. Otherwise, you can use any broth.
- If you arent vegetarian and would like to add some meat to this, try chicken or beef. You can use shredded chicken, or add a full chicken breast and shred later after it is fully cooked.
Serving: 1bowl | Calories: 375kcal | Carbohydrates: 63g | Protein: 22g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 11mg | Sodium: 1022mg | Potassium: 1177mg | Fiber: 21g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 1523IU | Vitamin C: 38mg | Calcium: 99mg | Iron: 6mg