Creamy Chicken and Rice Soup
Heart and healthy chicken and rice soup that's creamy, easy to make, and loaded with chicken and veggies.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 stalks celery chopped
- 2 carrots sliced
- 1 onion diced
- 2-3 clove garlic pressed
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 1/2 cup wild rice or long grain rice
- 5 cups chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 8 oz package cream cheese
- kosher salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp minced parsley
Heat the oil in a large dutch oven pot over medium heat.
Saute the celery, carrots, and onion until soft, 3-4 minutes.
Stir in the garlic and oregano, and cook for 30 seconds.
Add the chicken, rice, stock, and bay leaf. Stir well to combine, then lower the heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes, or just until the rice is tender.
In a small bowl whisk the cornstarch with 1 tablespoon of water or stock. Add it to the soup together with the cream cheese.
Continue to simmer, stirring frequently for 5 minutes, until the soup is thick and creamy.
Season to taste and garnish with parsley.
- use rotisserie chicken, or leftover turkey and chicken.
- add any other veggies like broccoli or zucchini
- use vegetable broth if you don't have any chicken broth.
- use light or fat-free cheese. you may skip the cheese and use whole milk
- any other oil of choice works
- fresh garlic cloves recommended
- serving size: one bowl, or two cups
- instead of cornstarch use any flour of choice
Calories: 339kcal | Carbohydrates: 22g | Protein: 19g | Fat: 20g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 77mg | Sodium: 621mg | Potassium: 457mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 4050IU | Vitamin C: 5mg | Calcium: 76mg | Iron: 2mg