Roasted Beet Salad
This Roasted Beet Salad with feta is made with beets that are roasted to perfection and tossed with a delicious balsamic vinaigrette that is both enticing and perfect for any easy brunch, lunch, or dinner. Tossed with toasted pine nuts and fresh thyme, you'll love this well-rounded beet recipe!
Servings 6 people
- 2 pounds beets fresh and medium, scrubbed and thoroughly washed
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 tablespoon pine nuts
- 4.5 ounces feta cubed
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons thyme or oregano, chopped
Preheat the oven to 450°F.
To prepare the beets: (Wear plastic gloves to avoid getting your hands colored!)
Cut and discard the tops and bottoms of the beets. Place in a baking dish and rub with a generous pinch of salt, pepper, and 1 tablespoon of olive oil on all sides.
Tightly cover the dish with aluminum foil, then bake at 450F for 45-55 min, or until fork tender. Set aside to cool.
Meanwhile, toast the pine nuts. Place them in a clean pan and set over medium-low heat. Shake the pan continuously, until the nuts are fragrant and golden brown, about 2 minutes. Once the nuts are done, immediately transfer to a small bowl, to avoid overcooking the nuts.
Use a sharp pairing knife to lightly peel the roasted beets, then cut into 1-inch cubes. Place into a salad bowl.
Add in the cubed feta, pine nuts, remaining olive oil, vinegar, and fresh herbs. Gently toss to combine, Taste and adjust the seasoning.
- Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for three to four days.
- If you don't like feta cheese try blue cheese or cotija cheese
- Be sure to use fresh herbs for the ultimate flavor.
- Don't forget the plastic gloves if you don't want the beets to stain your hands! Also, be sure to protect any countertops.
- You can prepare this roasted beet salad in advance if you would prefer. Just be sure to store it in the refrigerator.
- When choosing the beets, be sure to pick any that are similar in size so each of them is prepared in the same amount of time.
- Firm beets are what you want to use for this recipe. Avoid beets that are too soft.
- Since the beets are being roasted with the skin on, then be sure to scrub the beets really well prior to roasting.
Serving: 1cup | Calories: 194kcal | Carbohydrates: 17g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 19mg | Sodium: 357mg | Potassium: 534mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 12g | Vitamin A: 306IU | Vitamin C: 13mg | Calcium: 145mg | Iron: 2mg