Healthy Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Muffins
These Healthy Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Muffins are moist, fluffy, and so easy to make. Made with whole wheat flour, honey, and applesauce.
Servings 12 muffins
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 3 ripe bananas
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/2 cup peanut butter creamy
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
Preheat the oven to 375°F and place a rack in the center of the oven. Line a muffin tray with muffin liners and set aside.
In a mixing bowl, mix together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt; set aside.
Next, peel the bananas and place them into a bowl. Mash until no lumps remain.
Now add honey, egg, apple sauce, oil, and butter, beat until all the ingredients are well combined.
Fold the dry ingredients into the banana egg mixture. Add in the chocolate chips and fold again. Make sure to avoid over-mixing.
Spoon the batter evenly into the muffin tray and bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Remove from the oven and let cool at room temperature.
For storage: You can store the leftover muffins in an air-tight container or zip-lock bag. You can store in the refrigerator for up to 4-5 days. Reheat before serving.
- Whole wheat flour: You can use regular whole wheat flour or white whole wheat flour, which is slightly more tender.
- Bananas: Use very ripe bananas so that they are easy to mash and very flavorful.
- Applesauce: Make sure to use unsweetened applesauce. Sweetened has a lot of added sugars.
- Coconut oil: You can substitute it with olive oil, but it will change the flavor.
- Don’t overmix: Fold the ingredients gently until just combined to avoid tough, dense muffins.
- Storage: Store in an air-tight container or a zip-lock bag in the fridge for up to 4-5 days. Reheat before serving.
- Freezing: Allow muffins to cool completely, then freeze in an air-tight container or a zip-lock bag for up to 3 months. Thaw at room temperature or in the microwave until warm.
Calories: 270kcal | Carbohydrates: 39g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 13g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 14mg | Sodium: 210mg | Potassium: 308mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 17g | Vitamin A: 39IU | Vitamin C: 3mg | Calcium: 34mg | Iron: 2mg