Healthy Mashed Sweet Potatoes
Creamy and easy sweet potato mash made with cream cheese, sweet potatoes, milk, and fresh thyme.
- 4 pounds sweet potatoes
- 1/3 cup cream cheese softened, light or fat-free
- Kosher salt & ground pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup milk
- Fresh thyme or rosemary
- optional drizzle of olive oil or melted butter
Wash the potatoes under cold running water to remove any dirt or contaminants.
Using a sharp knife, carefully remove any bruised spots. Pat them dry with a paper towel.
In a large pot of boiling water, add potatoes and a pinch of salt. Let it boil for 12 to 15 minutes until tender.
Drain and let it sit at room temperature for a few minutes until ready to handle. Meanwhile whisk cream cheese, salt, and pepper into a bowl.
Now peel and mash the sweet potato with a potato masher, add milk, and mash again to your desired consistency.
Add cream cheese mixture and mix until well combined. Garnish with fresh thyme and serve.
- Use fresh sweet potatoes and not frozen
- We prefer using cream cheese over Greek yogurt. Cream cheese works great in place of half and half. Use light or fat-free if possible.
- For a vegan option, use dairy-free yogurt or skip completely
- Milk: Any milk of choice will work. Use almond milk for a vegan option.
- Add a bit of flavor with a dash of cinnamon
Serving: 1-cup | Calories: 234kcal | Carbohydrates: 47g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 11mg | Sodium: 159mg | Potassium: 791mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 10g | Vitamin A: 32319IU | Vitamin C: 5mg | Calcium: 89mg | Iron: 1mg