Easy Shakshuka Recipe with Feta
This Easy Shakshuka Recipe with Feta is a one-skillet meal made with simmered veggies, fragrant spices, and gently-poached eggs. The rich flavors make for a perfectly comforting breakfast or brunch that takes less than 30 minutes to make.
Servings 4 -5
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 shallots sliced
- 1 large red bell pepper seeded and thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cayenne or to taste
- 28 oz canned whole plum tomatoes with their juices one can, coarsely chopped
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt plus more as needed
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper plus more as needed
- 5 ounces feta crumbled (about 1 1/4 cups)
- 6 large eggs
- Chopped cilantro or parsley for serving
Preheat the oven to 375F.
Slice the onion, bell pepper, and garlic cloves. Coarsely chop the tomatoes and finely chop the cilantro.
Heat a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add olive oil and heat until shimmering. Add shallots and bell pepper; cook stirring occasionally until slightly tender.
Add garlic and continue cooking for 2 minutes more. Now stir in the chopped tomatoes and all the spices.
Mix well and cook until tomatoes are softened, mash with the wooden spoon to form a thick sauce, then let it simmer for about 10 minutes. Taste and adjust the salt and pepper.
Next, use a large spoon to make small wells in the sauce. Crack the eggs into each well. Season the eggs with some salt and pepper. Sprinkle crumbled feta on top.
Now transfer the skillet to the preheated oven and bake for 7-10 minutes until eggs are done to your liking.
Garnish with chopped cilantro or parsley and enjoy!
- Shallots: You can also use finely chopped yellow onion.
- Red bell pepper: You can also use yellow or orange bell peppers.
- Sweet paprika: If you prefer a spicy base, you can use chipotle powder instead.
- Canned whole tomatoes: You can also use diced canned tomatoes.
- Feta: Leave off the feta to make the dish dairy-free.
- If you like your eggs more done, increase the baking time slightly.
Calories: 370kcal | Carbohydrates: 22g | Protein: 18g | Fat: 25g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Cholesterol: 277mg | Sodium: 1192mg | Potassium: 828mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 13g | Vitamin A: 2204IU | Vitamin C: 58mg | Calcium: 292mg | Iron: 5mg