Greek Baked Beans
This easy Greek Baked Beans recipe uses canned beans and a creamy sauce to make a healthy dish bursting with Greek flavors.
Servings 6 -8
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 small onions (or 1 medium) finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 1 15 oz can tomato passata
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 28 oz large butter beans 2 (14 oz) cans, drained and rinsed
- 1¼ cups kalamata olives pitted
- ⅓ cup feta crumbled
- 2 tbsp flat-leaf parsley chopped
Preheat the oven to 375°F.
At the same time preheat a large oven-proof frying pan over medium-low heat. Add oil and heat until hot.
Add onion and garlic, sauté until slightly golden brown.
Stir in the tomato passata, cinnamon, nutmeg, oregano, and smoked paprika. Mix well and cook until it forms into a thick sauce, about 6-8 minutes.
Taste and season with salt and pepper.
Transfer the sauce into a baking dish. Stir in the butter beans and pitted olives. Gently mix to combine.
Top with crumbled feta. Place the dish into the preheated oven and bake for 25-30 minutes.
Garnish with chopped parsley and enjoy!
- Tomato passata: This is essentially cooked tomato puree. If you can’t find tomato passata, substitute with tomato puree.
- Smoked paprika: Smoked paprika adds an extra depth of flavor. You can substitute with regular paprika, but it will have less flavor.
- Butter beans: These are also called lima beans. Use canned, large butter beans. You can substitute with corona or Gigante beans, but they are harder to find canned.
- Feta: Some feta comes in a block that you crumble yourself. You can also buy feta already crumbled.
- If you have a dutch oven, you can make the sauce on the stove, add the beans, and bake the dish all in one pot.
- Storage: Store in an air-tight container in the fridge for 3-5 days.
- Freezing: Freeze in an air-tight container for up to 3 months. Thaw in the fridge overnight and reheat in the oven or microwave.
Calories: 252kcal | Carbohydrates: 33g | Protein: 12g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 7mg | Sodium: 536mg | Potassium: 758mg | Fiber: 11g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 833IU | Vitamin C: 4mg | Calcium: 93mg | Iron: 4mg