Easy Chicken Stroganoff
This Easy Chicken Stroganoff recipe yields moist chicken and tender mushrooms covered in an incredibly flavorful gravy. It's a healthy yet comforting meal that is gluten-free, dairy-free, and low-carb. Plus we love that it can be made on the stove or in the slow cooker!
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 3 small white onions
- 2-3 garlic cloves crushed
- 2 tbsp gluten-free flour
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2½ cups chicken stock
- 1 lb button mushrooms
- 2 tbsp curly parsley chopped for garnish
Peel the onions and cut in quarters. Cut the chicken breast into large chunks.
In a high-rimmed skillet add 1 tablespoon of oil and heat until shimmering hot. Add chicken breasts and sear until each side is golden brown, about 2 minutes per side. Once golden, remove the chicken from the heat and set aside on a plate. The chicken doesn't have to be cooked through at this stage, as we will continue to cook it in the sauce.
Heat remaining tablespoon of oil, add onion and cook until translucent, about 4 minutes.
Stir in crushed garlic, and cook for about 1 minute more. Add in the tomato paste, paprika and flour.
Pour in the stock in 1/2 cup increments, stirring well after each addition. This will help the flour incorporate well into the liquid.
Reduce the heat to low and simmer until bubbly. Stir in the chicken chunks and mushrooms.
At this stage you have 2 options:
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts: You can also use skin-on chicken, but the cooking time will vary.
- Gluten-free flour: You can substitute with all-purpose flour if you are not gluten-free.
- Tomato paste: You can substitute with 4 tbsp of tomato puree or tomato sauce, but you will need to reduce the chicken stock by 2 tbsp. The flavor will not be as deep and the sauce will not be as thick with this substitution.
- Smoked paprika: Smoked paprika has lots more flavor than regular paprika. I highly recommend using smoked without substitution.
- Button mushrooms: You can also use cremini or portabello mushrooms.
- Use a cast-iron or stainless steel skillet to cook the chicken for the best golden color and crispy crust.
- Storage: Store in an air-tight container in the fridge for 3-5 days.
- Freezing: Store in an air-tight container and freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the fridge or on the counter for several hours. Reheat on the stove or in the microwave.
Calories: 315kcal | Carbohydrates: 19g | Protein: 33g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 77mg | Sodium: 419mg | Potassium: 1129mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 809IU | Vitamin C: 13mg | Calcium: 34mg | Iron: 2mg