Instant Pot Chicken Curry
A fast and easy recipe for tender, juicy chicken covered in a rich, creamy curry sauce full of authentic flavors.
- ½ of a 14.5 oz can coconut milk blended if needed
- 1 tbsp mild curry powder green or yellow
- 1 tbsp low-sodium soy sauce or coconut aminos
- 1 tbsp lime juice freshly squeezed
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1 red chili seeded and chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tbsp ginger grated
- 1.25 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into small cubes
- 1 small onion diced
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro
- ¼ cup fresh basil
- Optional: cooked jasmine rice, to serve with
Instant Pot Instructions
Turn the Instant Pot on.
Place the chicken, curry powder, soy sauce, lime juice, coconut sugar, red chili, garlic and ginger in the instant pot. Then pour the coconut milk into the pot.
Cover and secure the lid. Press MANUAL or PRESSURE COOK and set to 10 minutes.
Once the time is up, manually release the pressure and carefully take the lid off. Serve with the cooked rice if desired, and garnish with fresh cilantro and basil leaves. Enjoy!
Mix coconut milk, curry powder, soy sauce, lime juice, sugar, red chili, garlic, and ginger in a mixing bowl and set aside.
Heat a pot over medium to high heat. Add chicken and onion, sauté for 5 minutes.
Immediately add in the prepared milk mixture, stir well.
Cover and cook on low for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally until chicken is cooked through and sauce is thickened.
Transfer the curry to a serving bowl. Garnish with cilantro and basil leaves. Serve with rice and enjoy!
- Coconut milk: Use unsweetened coconut milk.
- Curry powder: Yellow curry powder tends to be slightly sweeter, while green tends to be a bit brighter. Both are mild and work well in this recipe.
- Lime juice: Use freshly squeezed lime juice for the best flavor.
- Red chili: Try a Fresno Red Chili Pepper or a red jalapeno.
- Ginger: Use a spoon to peel the skin off the ginger, then grate on a Microplane. You can freeze the extra ginger root and grate it from frozen for future recipes.
- Set the steam valve to “sealed” and don’t move it until finished cooking. If the steam valve is open the Instant Pot won’t be able to build enough pressure to cook the chicken.
- Storage: Store in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Calories: 407kcal | Carbohydrates: 11g | Protein: 33g | Fat: 27g | Saturated Fat: 21g | Cholesterol: 91mg | Sodium: 322mg | Potassium: 855mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 311IU | Vitamin C: 23mg | Calcium: 46mg | Iron: 5mg