How to Poach Chicken Breasts
Juicy, tender, and flavorful poached chicken made with fresh herbs and chicken stock. This chicken can be sliced or shredded or your next meal or frozen for the future.
- 2 boneless chicken breasts 5-7 oz each
- 1 tsp peppercorns
- 1 tsp sea salt or to taste
- 1-2 cloves garlic crushed
- 2 large onions
- 3-4 sprigs mixed fresh herbs such as thyme, rosemary, or parsley
- 1-2 bay leaves
- chicken broth, or water as needed
Peel the onion and garlic. Lightly crush the garlic cloves and slice the onion into 1/2 inch slices.
Heat a high-rim pan over medium-high heat. Add in the chicken breast, onion, garlic, bay leaf, and peppercorn.
Add fresh herbs and enough chicken broth to cover the solids.
Gently stir and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and let simmer for about 10-12 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
Once the chicken is done, remove from the heat and let cool at room temperature, about 15 minutes. Remove the chicken from the broth and place on a cutting board. Slice or shred as per your desire.
Reserved broth can be used in other recipes such as soup or rice.
- Chicken breasts: We prefer to use chicken breasts, but you can use chicken tenders as well. Adjust the cooking time to cook the chicken until just cooked through (about 170°).
- Peppercorn: Use whole peppercorns instead of ground pepper to infuse the broth with a fuller flavor.
- Onion: This recipe is best with yellow onion, but sweet onions can also be used.
- Fresh herbs: Try thyme, rosemary, or parsley. Use the full sprig, including the stems. Fresh herbs make the chicken notably more flavorful than dry herbs.
- Storing: Store in an air-tight container or zipper bag in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
- Don't throw away the leftover chicken broth at the end. This is great in soups, rice, or other recipes that call for chicken stock.
Serving: 1chicken breast | Calories: 230kcal | Carbohydrates: 16g | Protein: 32g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 91mg | Sodium: 1335mg | Potassium: 773mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 169IU | Vitamin C: 15mg | Calcium: 51mg | Iron: 1mg