How to Make Homemade Ranch Dressing
Homemade Ranch Dressing is fast, flavorful, and very easy! It's healthier than store-bought, packed with protein, and a refreshing way to enjoy salads, fresh veggies, and more!
Servings 24 1 tbsp servings (makes about 1 1/2 cups total)
- ½ cup light or homemade mayonnaise
- ½ cup sour cream or full-fat yogurt
- ⅓ cup buttermilk or regular milk
- 1 tbsp freshly chopped dill (or ¾ tsp dried dill)
- 1 tbsp freshly chopped parsley (or ¾ tsp dried parsley)
- 2 tbsp freshly chopped chives (or 1 tsp dried chives)
- ¼ tsp onion powder (or 1 tbsp grated onion)
- ½ tsp garlic powder (or 1-2 garlic cloves, minced)
- ¼ tsp fine sea salt or to taste
- ⅛ tsp finely cracked pepper or to taste
- 2-3 tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice adjust to taste
If using fresh herbs, finely chop them using a sharp chef's knife.
In a large mixing bowl, combine mayonnaise, sour cream, buttermilk and lemon juice.
Add onion powder and garlic powder, whisk until well incorporated.
Stir in chopped/dried herbs and season with some salt and pepper, gently mix.
Transfer the dressing to an air-tight container and chill for a couple of hours before serving. You can keep this in the fridge for up to 1 week.
- Sour Cream or Full-Fat Yogurt: For a more protein-rich dressing use full-fat or Greek yogurt.
- Mayo: For those who aren't fond of mayonnaise can use cool whip or more plain/Greek yogurt
- Buttermilk or Regular Milk: Buttermilk will add a slight tang and thicker consistency. However, regular milk is a good substitute.
- Dill: Fresh dill adds significantly more vibrant flavor, but dried can definitely be used in a pinch.
- Parsley: Cut off the long, stalky ends and just chop the leaves. Or substitute dried.
- Sea Salt: Sea salt brings out the flavors in the dressing, but kosher salt can be used as well.
- Lemon Juice: We recommend using fresh lemon juice rather than store-bought lemon juice.
- Chop the herbs very finely for even distribution and smooth texture.
- The dressing will be thin but will thicken as it chills in the refrigerator.
Serving: 1tbsp | Calories: 23kcal | Carbohydrates: 1g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 2g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 4mg | Sodium: 66mg | Potassium: 11mg | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 63IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 9mg | Iron: 1mg