Homemade Spaghetti Meat Sauce
Homemade Meat Sauce that is fast and easy, healthier than store-bought, and so flavorful. It will become a fast family favorite!
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 large yellow onion peeled
- 3 cloves garlic peeled
- 2 tbsp dried basil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 28 oz cans crushed tomatoes
- 1 28 oz can chopped tomatoes with juices
Start by finely chopping the onion and press the garlic.
Place a large skillet or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add oil and heat until shimmering.
Stir in garlic and sauté for 1 minute or until fragrant. Add onion and cook until translucent.
Immediately add ground beef and mix well breaking it apart with a wooden spoon until itis in small crumbles. Cook until meat is brown and no longer pink. At this point, you can drain the excess fat if desired.
Add crushed tomatoes and tomato puree. Pour vinegar and season with dried basil, salt, and pepper.
Cover and let simmer on low for about 2 to 3 hours. Don't forget to give the sauce a few stirs in the meantime. (or over medium to lose for 20 minutes )
Serve the meat sauce with your favorite cooked pasta. This sauce can be refrigerated for up to 5 days or frozen for 4-6 months.
- Tomatoes: Use both crushed and chopped tomatoes to add texture to the sauce.
- Garlic: We recommend using freshly chopped garlic for the best flavor, but you can also use jarred minced garlic if needed. Garlic powder does not make a good substitute since it adds bitterness to the sauce.
- Onion: Yellow onions are fantastic in this recipe, but Walla Walla or Vidalia onions make great substitutes.
- Oil: Olive oil adds great flavor to this sauce, but you can also use avocado oil or butter for keto.
- Don't overcook the garlic. It burns easily and will give the sauce a bitter taste.
- Storing: Store in a container in the fridge for up to five days. Freeze for up to 4-6 months.
- Slow cooker instructions: Follow the instructions until the meat is cooked and the tomatoes and other seasonings are added. Transfer sauce to the slow cooker and cook on low for 3-5 hours, stirring occasionally. Serve over cooked pasta.
Calories: 191kcal | Carbohydrates: 8g | Protein: 17g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 49mg | Sodium: 191mg | Potassium: 541mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 187IU | Vitamin C: 11mg | Calcium: 55mg | Iron: 3mg