How To Make Shrimp Ceviche
Easy Shrimp ceviche recipe made with cucumbers, shrimps, onions, avocado, and a simple cilantro lime dressing.
- 1 lb Extra Large Shrimp peeled and deveined, (raw or pre-cooked)
- 3 Limes squeezed
- 1 Lemon squeezed
- ½ Medium Red Onion finely sliced
- ½ English Cucumber diced
- 1-2 Jalapeño Peppers deseeded and minced
- 2 Tbsp Chopped Cilantro
- 2 Medium Or 1 large avocado diced
Gather up all the ingredients
Dice the cucumber, avocado, onions, peppers, and cilantro.
Chop up the shrimps.
Place the shrimps in a glass bowl. Add in the lime and lemon juice and let it stand refrigerated for 15 minutes.
Stir in the chopped veggies, and mix well.
Cover and refrigerate for 2-3 hours to allow the flavors to nicely meld.
- You may use pre-cooked shrimp or raw shrimps
- If using pre-cooked, you do not need to soak the shrimps in the lemon and lime juice for 15 minutes. Just about 5 minutes will do.
- If using raw shrimps, you must time the soak time for 15 minutes to allow it to cook in the acidity of the lemon and lime juice.
- Chop your onions well! You just want a hint of spicy raw onion, not a mouthful of it. Using a mandoline to thinly slice the red onion is great.
- Don't skimp on the cilantro. Just like guacamole, ceviche needs a good helping of cilantro to balance the flavors.
- Add an spicy kick. Adding a few drops of Tabasco (or any other favorite hot sauce) will give your ceviche just the right amount of kick. It also adds flavor from the vinegar and spices.
- Removing the ribs and seeds from your jalapeno will significantly reduce the heat of the pepper. If you prefer spicy food, keep some of the seeds and ribs in the pepper when you dice it up.
- Add orange for a subtle but satisfying twist. Adding a little orange juice or lemon juice in addition to the lime adds a nice, subtle flavor that compliments the lime. Orange juice also adds a perfect little sweetness that can stand up to the spice.
- You can substitute part of the shrimp with pieces of firm white fish, bay scallops, or even sliced octopus.
Calories: 206kcal | Carbohydrates: 13g | Protein: 18g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 191mg | Sodium: 594mg | Potassium: 495mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 175IU | Vitamin C: 33mg | Calcium: 140mg | Iron: 2mg