Healthy Sweet Potato Casserole
Classic sweet potato casserole recipe made with fresh sweet potatoes and a delicious crunchy topping.
Servings 6 servings
- 2 Lbs Sweet Potatoes peeled and chopped
- 2 Large Eggs Skip this for a vegan option
- ¼ Cup Maple Syrup
- A pinch of sea salt
- 1 Tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
For the Crunchy Topping:
- ⅓ Cup Oat Flour I blended rolled oats
- ¼ Cup Maple Syrup
- 2 Tbsp Coconut Oil
- ½ Cup Chopped Nuts of choice (pecans, walnuts, pistachios, cashew, etc.)
Place the chopped sweet potatoes in a pot filled with water just enough to cover them. Cook for 10-15 minutes, or until tender.
Preheat the oven to 350°F.
Once potatoes are done, drain and mash them. Stir in the eggs, maple syrup salt and vanilla extract. Mix well then spread the mixture in a 2-quart casserole dish.
In a mixing bowl, add oat flour, maple syrup, coconut oil, and nuts. Stir until crumbly then sprinkle the topping all over the mashed potatoes.
Bake in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes, or until tops are golden and crispy. Enjoy!
- Use whatever chopped nuts you like.
- Don't overwork the mash. You don’t want a super smooth mash for potato casserole because it won’t hold together properly. A coarser mash gives the casserole its character and body.
- You don't need to add sugar. Although brown sugar is often used in classic sweet potato casseroles, this recipe really does have built-in sweetness!
- Use a preheated oven.
- For a deeper flavor to your nuts, toast them up!
- Ideally, let this Healthy Sweet Potato Casserole stand at room temperature for around 10 mins before serving.
- Please keep in mind that the nutritional information is calculated using a nutrition facts calculator. It is a rough estimate and can vary greatly based on products used.
- Optional nuts for toppings: pecans, walnuts, pistachios, cashew, etc.
Calories: 355kcal | Carbohydrates: 54g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 13g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 70mg | Sodium: 114mg | Potassium: 655mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 23g | Vitamin A: 21552IU | Vitamin C: 4mg | Calcium: 95mg | Iron: 2mg