Chicken Tacos with Avocado Salsa
Chicken, cilantro-lime cabbage slaw, and homemade tomato avocado salsa, all tucked inside warm tortillas.
Servings 4 servings
- 8 Small corn tortillas
- 3 cups Cooked chicken cut into bite-sized pieces* See Notes
- 2 cups Shredded red cabbage
- 2 tablespoons Lime juice divided use
- 1 tablespoon Olive oil
- 1/2 cup Chopped cilantro divided use
- 1 cup Cored seeded and diced tomatoes
- 1 cup Diced avocado
- 2 tablespoons Minced red onion
- Salt to taste
Place the cabbage in a medium bowl. Add 1 tablespoon of lime juice, 1 tablespoon of olive oil, 1/4 cup of chopped cilantro, and salt to taste. Toss to combine all of the ingredients and set aside. Slaw can be made in advance and stored in the refrigerator for up to 8 hours before serving.
In a medium bowl combine the tomato, avocado, red onion, 1/4 cup cilantro, 1 tablespoon lime juice and salt to taste. Cover and place in the refrigerator for 10-15 minutes to let the flavors meld.
To assemble, warm the tortillas and lay them on a flat surface. Place approximately 1/4 cup cabbage slaw onto each tortilla. Divide the chicken evenly among the tortillas and then top with the salsa. Serve immediately.
Cook the chicken breasts to your liking. Either pan sear it or grill in the oven. Use any spices you like as marinade. For this recipe, I simply pan-seared the chicken with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and a bit of oil.
- You can cook your own chicken or use pre-cooked or rotisserie chicken, to make life easier.
- Cover and place the salsa in the refrigerator for 10-15 minutes, this allows the flavors to meld.
- Slaw can be made in advance and stored in the refrigerator for up to 8 hours before serving.
- Keep a quarter-inch border of open tortilla around the taco, to avoid spillage!
- Serve with a wedge of lime and top with fresh cilantro.
- For an extra flavor dimension, grill the tortillas quickly for a lovely bit of toasty char.
- Use cilantro with the stems! Keep those stems on as it adds a lovely zesty punch to the tacos.
- Crumble on some cotija cheese for a touch of creaminess. Or go with some shredded jack cheese.
Calories: 271kcal | Carbohydrates: 32g | Protein: 12g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 24mg | Sodium: 84mg | Potassium: 624mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 995IU | Vitamin C: 37.9mg | Calcium: 70mg | Iron: 1.4mg