Healthy Pasta Primavera Recipe
Whole wheat pasta with tomato sauce, parmesan cheese and plenty of fresh vegetables.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 12 minutes
Total Time 22 minutes
- 8 ounces whole wheat pasta such as penne
- 2 cups of warm prepared marinara sauce look for a low-fat, low-sugar variety
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup of small broccoli florets
- 1/2 cup of peeled carrots cut into 1/4 inch pieces
- 1 yellow squash halved and thinly sliced
- 1 cup of mushrooms thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Optional: 2 tablespoons chopped parsley.
Cook the pasta in salted water according to package instructions.
While the pasta is cooking, heat the olive oil in a large pan over medium-high heat.
Add the onions to the pan and cook for 3-4 minutes, or until they've started to soften.
Add the broccoli, carrots, squash, and mushrooms to the pan. Season the vegetables with salt and pepper to taste.
Add 2 tablespoons of water to the pan. Cook for 5-7 minutes or until vegetables are tender and starting to brown.
Stir in the garlic and cook for 30 seconds more.
Add the cooked pasta and marinara sauce in the pan; toss to coat.
Sprinkle with parmesan cheese and serve. Top with chopped parsley if desired.
Please keep in mind that the nutritional information is calculated using a nutrition facts calculator. It is a rough estimate and can vary greatly based on products used.
Calories: 337kcal | Carbohydrates: 57g | Protein: 17g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 11mg | Sodium: 861mg | Potassium: 904mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 3085IU | Vitamin C: 39.6mg | Calcium: 205mg | Iron: 4.1mg