Do not let the quinoa ingredient in this Barbecue Chicken Quinoa Bowls recipe intimidate you or make you skip past this recipe. There is nothing scary about quinoa, other than trying to pronounce it. Say, “KEEN-WAH.” Now that you know how to pronounce it, let’s talk about why this recipe needs to be on your weekly meal planning calendar. Quinoa provides many essential vitamins and minerals, that help keep you feeling fuller, and with swimsuit season right around the corner, I think we can leave it at that.
These extra flavorful Barbecue Chicken Quinoa Bowls are perfect for lunch or dinner. This recipe will not leave you feeling guilty after a hard workout, or even on those days you decide to skip your workout. Tangy barbecue sauce, lightly smeared across juicy tender chicken, resting atop a colorful bed of quinoa, will certainly leave you your tummy feeling pleased.
Barbecue Chicken Quinoa Bowls
- 4 thin boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 4 tablespoons of barbecue sauce look for a low sugar variety
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 ears of corn
- 2 large zucchini cut into 3/4 inch thick slices
- the juice of 1 lime
- `1 and 1/2 cups cherry tomatoes halved
- 4 cups of cooked quinoa
- Optional: cilantro leaves and lime wedges for garnish
- Preheat the grill or a grill pan over medium-high heat. Drizzle 1 teaspoon of olive oil over the chicken breasts and season them to taste with salt and pepper.
- Place the chicken on the grill and cook for 4-5 minutes on each side or until done. Brush 1 tablespoon of barbecue sauce over each chicken breast and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Slice the chicken and cover with foil.
- Drizzle 2 teaspoons of olive oil over the zucchini and corn cobs. Place the vegetables on the grill and cook for 2-3 minutes per side or until done.
- Stir the remaining tablespoon of olive oil and the lime juice into the quinoa and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Divide the quinoa between 4 bowls and arrange the chicken and zucchini slices on top. Slice the corn off the cobs and add to the bowls, along with the cherry tomatoes. Garnish with cilantro and lime wedges if desired and serve.