What is Thanksgiving without pumpkin pie? Aside from turkey, this is the food dish that almost everyone associates with this holiday, topping off a great meal with a great dessert. Like most desserts though, pumpkin pie can be loaded with sugars, fats, and calories that won’t work well on a diet. If you want to get the best of both worlds, the healthy pumpkin pie recipe below will give you the flavors you love with less of the negatives than normal.
Ingredients For Pumpkin Pie Crust
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose or pastry flour
- 1/3 cup xylitol or any other sugar you like
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil or canola oil
- 2-4 Tbsps water
How To Make Healthy Pumpkin Pie Crust
- Preheat oven to 200°F.
- Combine all dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Add oil to the mixture and stir.
- Add water in small quantities until the mixture becomes sticky but not gummy.
- Press the crust evenly into the bottom and sides of a 10″ pie pan. Set in the oven. Raise the temperature to 350°F immediately. Use pie weights to avoid rising, if possible, or press the crust back down when cooled.
- Bake 15 minutes. Set aside to let cool.
Ingredients For Pumpkin Pie Filling
- 1 can pumpkin puree (15oz) – or sweet potato puree or about 2 cups of homemade pumpkin puree
- 2 Tbsps ground flax
- 1/4 cup rolled oats
- 1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 can coconut milk (13.5oz)
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 2 tsps cinnamon
- 1/3 cup brown sugar or coconut sugar or
- A pinch of pure stevia – or 2 Tbsps extra brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
How To Make Healthy Thanksgiving Pumpkin Pie
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Blend all of the ingredients together until smooth. Pour the mixture into the pie crust prepared above.
- Bake 27 minutes and set out to cool.
- Refrigerate uncovered for at least 5 hours so the filling can thicken and set.
BONUS RECIPE! Healthy Whipped Cream For Pumpkin Pie
Instead of eating this delicious pumpkin pie with Miracle Whip, try this healthy whipped cream alternative:
- In a bowl, combine 1/2 cup of reduced-fat Greek yogurt (2%), 1/3 cup of heavy-whipping cream, and 2 tablespoons sugar.
- Beat at medium speed with a mixer until soft peaks begin to form on top. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.