My favorite part of Thanksgiving dinner is the stuffing or dressing. This iconic turkey side dish comes in a wide array of variations, depending on which ingredients you like best. If you want to branch out from your mom’s famous recipe, the option below could be a great alternative to try, This fabulous stuffing recipe uses toasted nuts, prosciutto, and pears to create a flavorful dish that won’t do too much damage to your waistline. It pairs well with our healthy Thanksgiving turkey recipe, so feel free to prepare it on your big day.
Ingredients You Need
- 3 tsps extra virgin olive oil (divided)
- 4 oz prosciutto (sliced into thin ribbons)
- 2 cups onion (finely chopped)
- 1/4 cup minced shallot
- 2 cups fennel bulb (diced)
- 2 tsps minced fresh thyme
- 1 tsp minced fresh rosemary
- 2 tsps minced fresh sage
- 8 cups stale or lightly toasted baguette (1/2-inch cubes)
- 2 ripe Bosc pears (chopped)
- 1/3 cup chopped hazelnuts (toasted)
- 1/3 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 14 oz can reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Ground pepper
How To Make Healthy Thanksgiving Stuffing
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Use cooking spray to coat a 9×13″ baking dish.
- Heat 1 teaspoon of oil over medium heat in a large, nonstick skillet. Add the prosciutto to the skillet. Continuously stir the prosciutto and cook it until crispy – about 5 minutes. Place on a paper towel to dry.
- Wipe the pan clean. Heat the remaining 2 teaspoons of oil over medium-high heat. Mix in the fennel, onion, and shallot. Cook until the ingredients are softened and beginning to brown, stirring continuously – 6 to 8 minutes.
- Add thyme, sage, and rosemary. Cook while stirring for 1-2 minutes.
- Combine everything in a large bowl. Stir in pears, bread, hazelnuts, parsley, and the prosciutto. Add the chicken broth and toss to coat the entire mixture.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Spoon the stuffing into the baking dish and cover with foil.
- Bake in the oven for 40 minutes. Remove the foil top and bake until the top turns a crisp, golden brown – 25 to 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, set it out to cool, and serve.